Hayden fan clutch hardware

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
I don't want to argue, I thought maybe you did not understand how place bolts work. Spend a little time and research place bolts and how they work. They are used in critical areas like flywheels, power steering control valve castings, fan clutchs, stuff you really do not want coming loose.
I never heard of a "place bolt" until you mentioned it. Thanks

However, Earnest Machine offers Place Bolts which feature a special head design that provides a “locking” action between the head of the bolt and the material being clamped. The combination of the special recessed groove under the head and the slots in the top of the head cause the head to flex as it is tightened, illustrated in figure 1. This creates a spring action in the head that provides additional elastic elongation that is not achieved by standard Hex Head Cap Screws. This spring action also provides increased resistance to loosening in high vibration applications.

1663168128409.png

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
FYI, I won't be using lock washers with place bolts in the future. However, I will not go back and remove the lock washers that took me 30 minutes to install with the bolts yesterday.

4406bbl

Local time
Reaction score
I agee. I also see the cuts give it less rotational mass so they stay tight, quite the high tech part when you look into it.