• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head rest for 1966 with bucket seats

gtx6970

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Anyone able to confirm if or what's required to add head rests to 66 B body seats that are not factory equipped.

Basically
..if I come up with them. Is the structure inside the seat there so I can add them to my existing seats

Just a hardware and bezel kit if your backs have the provisions to install them.

Original owner added headrests but they were stolen in a New Haven parking garage. Top down gone "only 10 mins. You can see brackets on back of seats, second maybe them, best picture I have. Poor at best!
hr1.JPG
hr.JPG

just the hardware . all the seat frames were equipped to have them . just add hardware and slide in headrest

Headrests ere not offered on 1966. So would the seat have the cut outs for the hardware if the hardware doesn’t exist yet?

Just like the hoods, the 1967 hoods are stamped underneath for GTX hood scoop mounting access holes. Even 4 doors and wagons. 1966 hoods are not stamped, hood scoops didn’t exist yet.

I'm also looking at this as a project. This is from a 66 Satellite bucket seat, as shown there are zero provisions for adding headrests. I also have a pair of 66 Charger seats that are identical, zero provisions. Could someone post pics of a 67 seat frame showing the factory headrest provisions for the OP and many others? TIA.
IMG_2578.JPG

I've looked into this myself. I ended up buying some slip on headrests from the scrap yard and re-covering them in vinyl of a similar color.
They look rubbish, but I only use them when I'm driving and I didn't have to cut into the seats in any way.
20231010_073627.jpg
It's part of my procedure, open door, slip on headrest, turn off engine, slip off headrest. Definitely feels better driving with them in place, my neck doesn't feel exposed.
20231010_073655.jpg

I'm also looking at this as a project. This is from a 66 Satellite bucket seat, as shown there are zero provisions for adding headrests. I also have a pair of 66 Charger seats that are identical, zero provisions. Could someone post pics of a 67 seat frame showing the factory headrest provisions for the OP and many others? TIA.
View attachment 1538917
My bets are the 67 had a different frame and 66 has no provisions to add the headrests.

Picture in Post #3 shows some kind of aftermarket brackets bolted to the seat backs that must have mounted aftermarket head rests. Definitely not original equipment. Factory B-head rests did not show up until 1967, and mounted down through the top of the seats to existing internal hardware.

Last edited:
The link I posted in post 6 shows pictures of a 67 seat with headrests.

I think I have 69 headrests on my 70 seats, and they look at least reasonable, but they do not latch. In an accident, I think my head would push them down and they would be of limited use.

I understand why a number of us are interested in these now due to the accident we saw with the GTX. I guess it is time to come up with something better :rolleyes:

Original owner added headrests but they were stolen in a New Haven parking garage. Top down gone "only 10 mins. You can see brackets on back of seats, second maybe them, best picture I have. Poor at best!View attachment 1538876View attachment 1538877
Those brackets are the exact same ones on my 66 Satellite. I have never saw any other have them or headrest. Do you guys think thay may have been dealer added.

Picture in Post #3 shows some kind of aftermarket brackets bolted to the seat backs that must have mounted aftermarket head rests. Definitely not original equipment. Factory B-head rests did not show up until 1967, and mounted down through the top of the seats to existing internal hardware.
I have seen quite a few aftermarket headrest assemblies in many brands of cars. As far as I can ascertain all 67 buckets had built in hardware for headrests. Just had to look at some of my buckets, for confirmation.

Keep in mind in order for headrest to provide protection the seat back must hold position. In pre 1968 cars some seat backs do not have latches. (I actually worked for a high speed camera company back in the day and crash test consultants were our biggest customers. Learned so much about car crashes.)

Keep in mind in order for headrest to provide protection the seat back must hold position. In pre 1968 cars some seat backs do not have latches. (I actually worked for a high speed camera company back in the day and crash test consultants were our biggest customers. Learned so much about car crashes.)
Interesting. Was there a noticeable difference in frontal collisions versus rear end collisions? In frontal collisions.
In a non latch back seat with only lap belts you would move forward with the seat back,come back with the seat and headrest. In a latched one you would still fly ahead and come back to hit the headrests.
Results in rear end collisions would be the same in both instances.
Really intriguing, would it be worth your time to post results with different applications.
We know that GM drilled holes in the frame of the 59 or 60 Chevrolet to weaken it show how bad the old cars were in head on collisions.
Thanks

Agreed - the '66 Satellites have seats that just tip forward in a crash. Coupled with lap belts and no headrests (and a fixed steering column) they are pretty sketchy.

I've locked my front seat with some L brackets off the main seat back bolt so it can't come forward. I've also fitted 3 point seat belts and my above dodgy looking temporary headrests.

I've left the passenger seat unlocked for access to the rear. I'd love to come up with an operational locking device but I'm not that smart.

I'm still going to honor my non disclosure as the camera company is still in business. I will say there were scenarios where the headrest would move and push the crash test dummy head through the windshield. Other conditions were the headrest would fly up to the max position and the crash dummy head would lodge between the rails of the headrest.

Auto Transport Service
Back