• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head rest for 1966 with bucket seats

Agreed - the '66 Satellites have seats that just tip forward in a crash. Coupled with lap belts and no headrests (and a fixed steering column) they are pretty sketchy.

I've locked my front seat with some L brackets off the main seat back bolt so it can't come forward. I've also fitted 3 point seat belts and my above dodgy looking temporary headrests.

I've left the passenger seat unlocked for access to the rear. I'd love to come up with an operational locking device but I'm not that smart.
If you have 3 point belts why the need to lock the seats? To me headrests should be the most important at your point. Humble opinion.

I'm still going to honor my non disclosure as the camera company is still in business. I will say there were scenarios where the headrest would move and push the crash test dummy head through the windshield. Other conditions were the headrest would fly up to the max position and the crash dummy head would lodge between the rails of the headrest.
WOW! Were these 3 point cars? I have a 3 point set of belts that I could install, but the car isn’t nearly ready for the road.

If you have 3 point belts why the need to lock the seats? To me headrests should be the most important at your point. Humble opinion.
The seat back is pretty heavy. There must be some sort of crush force if the seat back is coming forward and the seat belts are holding you. That was my thinking anyway. I actually locked the seats before I fitted the 3 point belts, and left the drivers seat locked after I'd fitted them. I enjoy working out these things. The brackets are not visible so the car still looks original inside but it might just make a difference in a crash.

I've attended a few defensive driving courses over the years. The course leader on one of them had lost her uncle in a crash when the home stereo unit that he was transporting behind the driver's seat came forward in a crash and killed him somehow. Another story was a briefcase on the passenger seat killing the driver in a side impact. Mobile phones, cans of coke etc all become deadly objects in a crash. I'm just doing what I can to stay safe.

Thanks all.

But yes the 68 GTX crash pictures is what got me thinking about it.

I'll pull the backs off my seat in a few weeks and see whats under there and report back

A big part of locking seatbacks was also to slow down the rear occupants in a frontal impact.

I'm still going to honor my non disclosure as the camera company is still in business. I will say there were scenarios where the headrest would move and push the crash test dummy head through the windshield. Other conditions were the headrest would fly up to the max position and the crash dummy head would lodge between the rails of the headrest.
Yikes!

Not sure if these help. It's hard to get a good view of the frame with the upholstery still in place...
67 bucket seat back. There is a crossbar in the seat frame that supports the headrest. Feels like it is part of the bracket that holds the seat back as well. The bottom of the bracket where the seat back and upholstery attach is about 5" from the top of the seat. The crossbar that supports the headrests is about 1.25" above the bottom and feels like it is 3/4" - 1" tall.

It looks like there is a slight contour to the crossbar so you might be able to make one from a piece of square bar or tube stock bent to the shape of the seatback with holes added for the headrest.

20231013_111446.jpg
20231013_111522.jpg
20231013_111548.jpg
20231013_111541.jpg

Not sure if these help. It's hard to get a good view of the frame with the upholstery still in place...
That should be enough to allow the OP to determine if his seats have headrest provisions or not. Thanks for taking the time to get them.

Using the FBBO search I was able to find a pic of the top side of the mounting hole in your picture. This is also where the retaining clip is mounted. Seems to be very different than the 66 seat frame.
bushing only on seat in frame 002.jpg

(sorry I can't give proper credit, not my resource)

I just added headrests to my car. The few places that sell the hardware kits for the headrests are incomplete. You will have to resource a hardware store for some of the screws, not enough and some too short in my opinion. If you need help on how to install let me know. You will have to cut out a section of your foam backing to fit the piece that attaches to the top of the back. My headrests had some minor damage due to age so made a cover matching my seats.

1697292909218.png
1697292934295.png
1697293630518.png

I just added headrests to my car. The few places that sell the hardware kits for the headrests are incomplete. You will have to resource a hardware store for some of the screws, not enough and some too short in my opinion. If you need help on how to install let me know. You will have to cut out a section of your foam backing to fit the piece that attaches to the top of the back. My headrests had some minor damage due to age so made a cover matching my seats.
Any pics of the completed project?

Here it is. Will be tucking up the fabric when I get my material for it.

1697294548519.png

View attachment 1539726 View attachment 1539727 View attachment 1539740
What's included in the kit. Do you get any hardware to install a seat back latch?

This is what you get: I found the short screws for attaching the top black slides were a little too short. No screws to attached the two pressure springs. The long screws for attaching the chrome bezels were the only ones that worked for me. The kit I purchased was from Mopar Plus.

1697298498523.png

Headrests are very hard to find. Let me know if you need. Here is a picture of one of our members did with some modifications on some headrests.

1697299422832.png

Headrests are very hard to find. Let me know if you need. Here is a picture of one of our members did with some modifications on some headrests.

View attachment 1539796
Thanks. Sourcing the headrest is probably the hardest part (and most expensive).
Like I said previously you don't get the intended protection unless you latch the seat back. That is an important step that needs to be figured out.

Saw these on stink Bay Look at condition I didn't. Not mine. just posted if anyone is looking for a pair.
1971 - 78 Dodge Charger B Body Headrests  | eBay
Nice but not really the "style" for 66-67 B bodies. Plus, using the 67 seat frame requires the distance between the posts to be modified unless you are lucky and find the right ones. These match better but need some work and maybe covered:
2 MOPAR 1968-1970 A, B, C BODY BUCKET SEAT HEAD REST HEADREAST - BLACK | eBay

Last edited:
If your local u-pull yards have online pics of their cars (LKQ does)- look for mid 1980's Dodge 400/600 K cars and the Chrysler and Plymouth equivalents.

The seats in those are VERY similar looking to 66/67 seats and headrests. They also recline.

They are a little wider on the track spacing if you consider using the whole seats, plus the back is upholstered rather than having a removeable pan.

Added headrests to my ’63 buckets, more to do with having a neck fusion. Had been looking for stock seats having no luck, deciding to look into adding them. Found a nice deal on late mopar ‘60’s rests having them re-covered and installed by an upholstery shop. They don’t go down further than shown; but the location is good for my head. Now it would be if the seat wouldn’t rip out of the floor, lol.

DSCN1349.JPG

20170709_161913.jpg

IMG_20170102_192156_946.jpg

The pic above is mine (the one redbeard posted) I do have one more set left of those headrests if anyone is interested. Not sure what they are off of but they are dark blue. Can dye any color. You will have to modify them with a donor set of posts from another junk set of headrests…..that and a welder and piece of steel is all you need per headrest. Easy peasy…….once installed, they look awesome and most won’t even know they are not the expensive originals….. I also aH e a set of originals but not sure on selling yet. They are super expensive. And Rare.

Auto Transport Service
Back