• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header installation advice '69 super bee

TurboKR

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to re-install the engine (440) in my '69 Super Bee. I removed the trashed/cracked headers prior to pulling the engine.

I'm wondering if I should re-install the engine first, then install the headers. Or do the headers first (untorqued) and then install the engine? Wondering which way others have done it and which is the 'easier' way? I'll be using new TTI 1 7/8" headers.

For my 69' 440 Super Bee I installed the motor first, then put the headers in from underneath. Jack up the rear end and have the rear axle on jack stands (I use the big 6-ton stands) as high as you can safely get the rear end. Makes installing the headers up from underneath much easier. And I have the 2" headers.

When doing the driver's side, you will need to have that side unbolted so you can tilt the motor over with a jack, or engine hoist, to make room to work the header in. Have the mini- starter installed first also.

How did you get the original headers off before pulling the motor?

I tie the headers back in the engine compartment up against the fender wells and slip the engine down in between. .....

Jeff

I tie the headers back in the engine compartment up against the fender wells and slip the engine down in between. .....

Jeff
Yep, pretty similar to what I do. I get the engine hovering over the engine compartment and then lay the headers in, holding them back to the inner fenders and already in approximate final placement.
I then finish dropping the engine down onto the mounts, quickly starting a couple header bolts into each side right before final touchdown of the engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back