• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers—looking for fit & ease of installation

Ok, guys you all mention many different brands, from expensive to cheap, and " they all went in nicely"......I've got to tell you, today I decided to remove these nasty old rusted, chrome flaking off headers, using the techniques you've mentioned, jacking up motor, remove from the bottom etc. As a reminder, I have 69 coronet Bee 440, with power steering. I literally cut this drivers side into about 6 pieces to get it out!!!!
Wish I could tell what brand, they came with the car when I bought it. But there was NO WAY coming out either from top or bottom. Starter wires went between the back two Primarys to boot!
I dont know what to buy being on a budget, that would actually "drop in" like some of you mentioned!!!

FITS Big Block Chrysler 383 - 440 Plain Steel Blockhugger Exhaust Headers DD2-P | eBay

1711661838951.png

I am not a fan of the shorty's. I haven't had much luck from the bottom on a bb. But I have not owned every header either. Sometimes...I have had to lay the starter in the header and put them in at the same time. Summit has a good search engine..go there and these will pop up along with a bunch more. Nothing really that others have not already posted.Lol
1. cheapest coated headers.
2.cheapest available from summit(someone else likely makes it)
3. 1 7/8 hookers
4. 2nd cheapest.
Hedmans are also available..I did not look for them

Screenshot_20240328_171150_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_171020_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_171117_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_171359_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have the opportunity to buy those hookers #5903 at a good price, but I'm not convinced they'll just drop in, or install from the bottom on my car???
Hard to buy from private sale if they don't fit, gotta sell them all over again.
Hoping someone here has similar car with experience on headers that fit with no issues

Anyone experience with flowtech?

On our 69 charger, (should be identical to a coronet) we have power steering and have the 1 7/8 hooker 5903s on a 440(stroked to 510) w 452 rv heads( small tapered plugs), solid motor mounts, oem starter. Installed them from the top. Jacked the engine up.. I can't remember we may have taken the driverside motor mount off. Layed the starter in with the headers as we installed them. Don't have studs...we have header bolts.
Buy Remflex header gaskets, don't skimp, they are worth every penny.

well don't think of big tube headers for a street machine , unless your always in the higher rpm range to make power . 1 3/4 inch full length tubes and long 3 inch collectors , will worth every penny in performance , and stainless steel will add longevity to your exhaust system . if your plan is to keep it as is build . with just some performance parts applied , say intake n carb , better valve train , some cam mods , ect...... in all the right headers will add the most horse power to the engine . of course headers free up the exhaust and carb tuning will needed . i put headers on everything i build .

DSC03984.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

DSC01384.JPG

So the hooker 5903 dropped in from top? No denting, wrestling?
Agree on Remflex, used in the party, they're great

Anybody ever use the Schumacher tri-y's on a big block B body? I know they fit well on A bodies. Probably the only header I would consider for the Charger at this point.

Anybody ever use the Schumacher tri-y's on a big block B body? I know they fit well on A bodies. Probably the only header I would consider for the Charger at this point.
Im actually conversing with Schumacher right now to see if their tri Y will just drop in

Their website says they fit all years. The issue, if any, will be the location of the exhaust pipe flange.

So the hooker 5903 dropped in from top? No denting, wrestling?
Agree on Remflex, used in the party, they're great
No hammering on ours. From the top. Recalling now, motor mounts I believe we took off.
Imho..Wrestling is part of any full length header install..5903 are 1 7/8..their for sure is less room then 1 3/4.
I honestly don't know how the 5903 could be improved, for what they are.. We also have 2 1/8 hookers in a 69 b body...1 7/8 is a cake walk!!!

Last edited:
No hammering on ours. From the top. Motor mounts I believe we took off.
Imho..Wrestling is part of any full length header install..5903 are 1 7/8..their for sure is less room then 1 3/4.
I honestly don't know how the 5903 could be improved. We also have 2 1/8 hookers in a 69 b body...1 7/8 is a cake walk!!!
No hammering on ours. From the top. Motor mounts I believe we took off.
I honestly don't know how the 5903 could be improved. We also have 2 1/8 hookers in a 69 b body...1 7/8 is a cake

No hammering on ours. From the top. Recalling now, motor mounts I believe we took off.
I honestly don't know how the 5903 could be improved. We also have 2 1/8 hookers in a 69 b body...1 7/8 is a cake walk!!!
So now the motor mounts have to come off? Jeeez....I cant even see them? I dont have a lift....
And aren't 17/8 bigger than 1 3/4?

So now the motor mounts have to come off? Jeeez....I cant even see them? I dont have a lift....
Pretty sure..you remove the driver side to clear the gearbox...but after you jack the engine up. Engine comes up a ways which helps. A set of 1 3/4" might slide in? 1 7/8 did not. I don't recall the passenger side needing removed.
It sounds like you should get a set 1 3/4 headers. They are certainly easier.

I have the opportunity to buy those hookers #5903 at a good price, but I'm not convinced they'll just drop in, or install from the bottom on my car???
Hard to buy from private sale if they don't fit, gotta sell them all over again.
Hoping someone here has similar car with experience on headers that fit with no issues
I've installed Hooker 5903's a number of times over the past half-century. Including one of my cars presently. Nothing rarely "drops in" but if you possess a modicum of skill, it's one of the easiest installs to do.

Pretty sure..you remove the driver side to clear the gearbox...but after you jack the engine up. Engine comes up a ways which helps. A set of 1 3/4" might slide in? 1 7/8 did not. I don't recall the passenger side needing removed.
It sounds like you should get a set 1 3/4 headers. They are certainly easier.
Don't have to remove engine mounts.

I've installed Hooker 5903's a number of times over the past half-century. Including one of my cars presently. Nothing rarely "drops in" but if you possess a modicum of skill, it's one of the easiest installs to do.
Give me a minute…. Ive got to look up modicum…,

Auto Transport Service
Back