• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers vs Max Wedge Swoops

sorry i never ran any other carbs i didnt take that many pics (im bad at that) and ive changed my set up to a dual 4 set up my advice is to cobble up something using the little carb pivot pins that are round on one end and screwed in on the other side you might have to go to a parts store or a junk yard if i find i took better pics ill send them also you might look at hemi cross ram linkage to see if it could work

62 2x4.jpg

mine dynoed at 558hp 571tq at the wheels.
"at the wheels", so appx 10% loss thru the drive train makes it 600+ HP motor..pretty std from what i understand with the crossram cork in the setup, same as mine, i have read where some guys have used heads that flow around 350 and a solid roller with over 260 @ 50 and dynoed 650 HP with a crossram.. which in a few weeks that will be my combo with TF 270's...we have the same carbs, AVS 2 650's. did u have to change them much to get them to work ? jetting, springs, and shooters. i hear #43 shooters makes for like F.I. response..

"at the wheels", so appx 10% loss thru the drive train makes it 600+ HP motor..pretty std from what i understand with the crossram cork in the setup, same as mine, i have read where some guys have used heads that flow around 350 and a solid roller with over 260 @ 50 and dynoed 650 HP with a crossram.. which in a few weeks that will be my combo with TF 270's...we have the same carbs, AVS 2 650's. did u have to change them much to get them to work ? jetting, springs, and shooters. i hear #43 shooters makes for like F.I. response..

Sorry for the slow response....I have the Indy SR heads

I used a FAST a/f fuel meter with dual O2 sensors (pic below). One in each header collector. I started out .098 P jets and .095 S jets with 70-52 rods. A/F was 12.8 idle 12.6 part throttle 12.4 wot. I ended up with .092 P jets .077 S jets 68-57 rods which gave me 14.6 idle 13.6 part throttle 13.4 wot. I may set up a jet size or two in the secondary to get wot closer to 13.0.

I also re-curved my MSD distributor. I can't find my notes as to what springs or bushing I have installed but my initial timing is at 18° and total is 34°

20220125_153201.jpg

Sorry for the slow response....I have the Indy SR heads
what about main jets ?

check out the thread in the racers forums, modern max wedge, Big numbers with that A&A crossram...

what about main jets ?

check out the thread in the racers forums, modern max wedge, Big numbers with that A&A crossram...

The P (primary) is the main jets... S is the secondary

I do not have max wedge manifolds yet but am looking at the ones Mancini sells to go with a 1970 383 hp motor I am building to go with their six pack setup kit that I bought already. This motor will be on a run stand till I decide what to put it in. I just don’t care for headers anymore. JMPO
Manifolds : Mancini Racing Cast Iron Exhaust Manifold Set
Head pipes with flange : 3.0" Max Wedge Exhaust Pipe
I will have my own flanges custom made more than likely as I will be making my own exhaust for the run stand.
I know this is late, and an old thread, but......
I think the maxwedge swoops will only fit right in a 62-65 b-body, cause of the k-member mounting the engine about two inches farther forward than the later k's. I think you run into firewall and master cylinder clearance problems with the later k's.

I know this is late, and an old thread, but......
I think the maxwedge swoops will only fit right in a 62-65 b-body, cause of the k-member mounting the engine about two inches farther forward than the later k's. I think you run into firewall and master cylinder clearance problems with the later k's.
I have done more research since I posted that and I think you are correct.

Nicks Garage did a video of HP manifold vs Max Wedge manifold vs Headers and the difference between the Max Wedge & headers was surprised by the results.
Edit : I am a bonehead and loaded the wrong video I was thinking of so here is the correct one.

THANKS for the awesome video of the 3 comparisons. I have one question that Nick did not mention. The video showed the MW exh. had a +35 HP gain v/s the HP manifolds but I thought the actual MW heads had VERY BIG exhaust ports to provide that HP increase from MW heads into the exh. manifolds? So my question is he didn't change the heads on the video so how did the head exhaust ports match up to the MW exhaust manifolds? I'm a bit confused.... thanks!

THANKS for the awesome video of the 3 comparisons. I have one question that Nick did not mention. The video showed the MW exh. had a +35 HP gain v/s the HP manifolds but I thought the actual MW heads had VERY BIG exhaust ports to provide that HP increase from MW heads into the exh. manifolds? So my question is he didn't change the heads on the video so how did the head exhaust ports match up to the MW exhaust manifolds? I'm a bit confused.... thanks!
The MW manifold ports (bigger) did not match up at all to the stock 906 heads ports (smaller) but they did not restrict flow. Just not an optimal situation but the MW manifolds still performed better than HP manifolds I guess because they are really more like cast iron headers. The HP manifolds are good but still restrictive in flow because they are compact.

The stock 906(or 452 and the like) exhaust ports are quite a bit smaller than the max, but the mismatch is no problem going that direction, certainly no worse than a 1 7/8 or 2" header.
The problem would be hp manifolds on max heads. That would not work well. (I have some headers that were on a set of 906s.... with 2 1/4 tubes! Should have been on a max headed 512" engine, or more!)

Last edited:
I'm not after every bit of power available, as my car isn't built for the track, rather more of the Nostalgia Look. I'm Really looking forward, to trying it out, God Willing...
1016221533_HDR.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back