• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers?

I'm using the Headman 78030 headers on my 64 Bel mostly because that's what I could afford at the time. They fit really well and went in without too much trouble. I like the quality and looks of the TTIs that I've seen in other early Bs but I like the way the Headmans fit better. JMHO

Smitty are you running a B or RB? And thanks very much for the info.

i went with shumackers but everyone i have ever talked with at every show says should have gone with tti's for fit and performance . get what you pay for.

I don't know. 800 bucks is a lot of money for headers. At that rate, they should come with a hot young **** star ready and willing to give you a happy ending. Just my 2 cents.

One of the things that I have noticed over the years is that header manufacturers have designed their products to fit a lot more applications. Years ago I bought a nice, used set of headers for a 66-69 B body thinking that they would slide right into the 65 that I owned at the time. Not so! I made them work with some hammer and torch work, but it was a pain. Lesson learned. I found out later that 64s 65s and 66s all had slightly different designs and their own part numbers, but not anymore. At least not Headmans. My point is that I know how the 78030 headers fit on my 64 Belvedere. I just don't know how well they will fit in your 65 or any other application. I only know that Headman says that they will fit. Hope this helps.

Well, here's the dealio with the Hedmans. They DO fit the 440 in the 63-65. But they are not listed to fit the 383 in those years. Only the Hookers and Dougs are ac tually listed to fit......and perhaps TTI has something as well. At this point, I will probably go Hooker because of their long collector. Will probably help low end torque.

I have had those exact hedmans on my 64 sport fury 440/727. They are great,and have been on the car for almost 10 years.no fitment issues,but I did need to pull out any studs and HAD to use the dakota mini starter to get the drivers side in.No scraping either.

i have the hedmans on my 63 fury and they fit good with my 440 also have mini starter and a 4 speed

My 63 polara with a 383 had hedman headers on it when I got it. I ran into the guy who installed them at a cruise in and he related the installation to me. About 3 days, bloody knuckles, mini starter and some creative denting. Maybe that's why the 383 isn't listed for this application.

My 63 polara with a 383 had hedman headers on it when I got it. I ran into the guy who installed them at a cruise in and he related the installation to me. About 3 days, bloody knuckles, mini starter and some creative denting. Maybe that's why the 383 isn't listed for this application.

Probably so. That's why I think I am going with the Hookers. Although more expensive, they are listed as fitting. I like the super long collector too. Gobs of bottom end torque.

I have heard the hooker headers are really a headache to install. I haven't use them myself so I'm only speaking from what I have been told.

The installation doesn't really bother me so much as the fitment. Long as they fit without hitting anything, that's what I'm after.

View attachment DSCN0866 (640x480).jpg
The installation doesn't really bother me so much as the fitment. Long as they fit without hitting anything, that's what I'm after.

tti's were a peach!..hemi here..View attachment DSCN0862 (640x480).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

rb block here...on '63 ply belve' 011.jpg

I know from the past, headers for early B bodies has been a point of contention. No one has really made anything affordable. But I've been lookin around lately since I will have to have headers of some sort on my 65. According to the Hedman site, their part number 78030 will fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78030/

I know fitment listings in books and online are sometimes inaccurate. Can anyone verify that these do fit? Perhaps someone running them? Thank you drive through. Cause if this old boy can get a set of 159 buck headers, I'm all over it.

I have them on my 65' Bell II 383, they went in as all headers do; lift the engine a couple of inches as needed and shoe horn them in. I had only two issues; the right side inner tie rod was a little tight to one of the tubes so I cleared it with a grinder and I could not use my mini Denso stater. The full size starter fit just fine though.

I had the Hedman 78030 on my 400 Belv. Buy something different. Never could get them to seal properly because they hit in so many places. They are designed for the 440 not a low deck. I have an email somewhere from the Hedman tech support rep and it states that I wouldn't have had as many issues with a 440. I thanked him for his time and told him that I wasn't gonna build a 440 just to fit 150 dollar headers.

Thanks for the input. Now that I've looked, the 78030 does not show to fit a low deck in that application anyway. However, the Hooker 5111 does. Is anybody running those?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Headman Elites on my 63 and they do fit, had to make one small ding for the mini starter, they are mounted on a 383

Attachments

• P1010026.jpg
    P1010026.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 350
  • P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 432
Thanks. That's what I'm lookin for. PROOF. Nice lookin engine. Can you post an entire shot?

Auto Transport Service
Back