• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers?

Before swapping to hipo manifolds, I had the hedman headers on my '65 with an RB block. They fit pretty well and after installation, I really had no issue with them other than the factory finish on them. They were very close to some steering components which would pose a major problem with a "B" block in my opinion. If you run full length headers, you won't need a heater in your car on those chilly days.

Attachments

• last year 1.jpg
    last year 1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Well I am at a loss as to how many companies can list headers to fit these cars.....plus everything from 62-74. It is simply not possible. The engines in the 62-65 sits about 3" further forward than the later ones. So how in the world a header that fits the later models will fit the early ones is beyond me. So far, the ONLY headers I have found specifically for the early cars and nothing else are the Hedman Hustlers at like 800 bucks for plain steel. Damn that.

I have a set of modified Hookers that fit great on my '64 426. Just replaced them with a custom set. They're just sittin' so let me know if you want to try them. They are made for a stock location (and I've run into the 3/4" back issue - but never a 3" forward?!) and go in as a puzzle but not too bad. All fits are good. Let me know.

Well I am at a loss as to how many companies can list headers to fit these cars.....plus everything from 62-74. It is simply not possible. The engines in the 62-65 sits about 3" further forward than the later ones. So how in the world a header that fits the later models will fit the early ones is beyond me. So far, the ONLY headers I have found specifically for the early cars and nothing else are the Hedman Hustlers at like 800 bucks for plain steel. Damn that.

Here are the Hedman 78030 in a 65 Belvedere II.

photo (Large).jpg

Before swapping to hipo manifolds, I had the hedman headers on my '65 with an RB block. They fit pretty well and after installation, I really had no issue with them other than the factory finish on them. They were very close to some steering components which would pose a major problem with a "B" block in my opinion. If you run full length headers, you won't need a heater in your car on those chilly days.
I see that you went the heater delete route like I did. No sense in repairing the heater box and core if you get more heat than you need coming up through the floor. Too cold? Roll the windows up. To hot? Roll 'em down. Plenty roomy under the dash too.

Rusty, I'm about 6 months out to having this same problem - putting headers on a B engine in a '65. What did you end up with?

I went with the Dougs D451. Nowhere near putting them on yet, but all the listings say they fit and several members back it up.

I have a set of old super stock headers on my 65 with an rb motor. They are very long as they go past the transmission cross mount.

No issues of touching at all but I think these are pretty hard to find. With that said why not just change the k member to the later 66 up style and use a common header?

Attachments

• IMG-20121230-00055 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20121230-00055 (Large).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 331
You would need to shorten the driveshaft,change the trans mount,and I think there's more to it still.
I have a set of old super stock headers on my 65 with an rb motor. They are very long as they go past the transmission cross mount.

No issues of touching at all but I think these are pretty hard to find. With that said why not just change the k member to the later 66 up style and use a common header?

Because the later K frame is not the same. It will not bolt in. I tell you what, Furyous, I'd love to see those headers from underneath. I bet them things make some great torque with collectors that long.

Here they are off the car..

Attachments

• headers (Large).jpg
    headers (Large).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 287
have large tube on my 67 gtx mini starter and the main fix ONE INCH STAGE EIGHT BOLTS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD--FIRST PAIR HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE GARAGE--smaller bolts--IF I HAD ONLY KNEW my 2cents

I have my 383 at the machine shop right now so ill b Putin it back in my 65 here soon ,my car is a4 speed any input on the headman 78030 headers fitting ??

Well i have been to tti several times and seen the headers made first hand. Mike is a good friend of mine and also the designer who has designed many of the headers they sell. First of all the headers are all test fitted on the various front clips k members they have in the shop. They are 100 percent american made from every step of the process. The craftman ship that goes into each of these headers i truly worth every penny. Funny fact tti is a job shop and actually does allot of cnc bending for allo of other brands such as dougs. Anyhow just thought i would put out my two cents and yes my exhaust was free front to back !!!!

I have my 383 at the machine shop right now so ill b Putin it back in my 65 here soon ,my car is a4 speed any input on the headman 78030 headers fitting ??

I cannot say on the dougs but when I put my hookers on I had to move the z bar to a diffrent set of holes.. No big deal and it gave me time to rebuild it as it needed it anyways.

I Know how you feel not trying to rub it in. Dont worry I paid top dollar for eveything else no deals. Really such a nice product though.

My 64 came with hookers and they didn't clear the steering and were a real pain to get out. The tti headers on the other hand fit really nice even with the big starter (now replaced with a mini) and are well worth the money. The first pic is with the hookers and the rest are of the tti's being installed. I forgot to add that you'll want stiff mounts or a torque strap of some kind as there isn't much fender clearance on the passenger side with the 440 in there as you can see.

i-kKJxJWz-L.jpg
i-Z263qhx-L.jpg
i-BH47KJZ-L.jpg
i-Xxdt2hd-L.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back