• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers?

RustyRatRod

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
I know from the past, headers for early B bodies has been a point of contention. No one has really made anything affordable. But I've been lookin around lately since I will have to have headers of some sort on my 65. According to the Hedman site, their part number 78030 will fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78030/

I know fitment listings in books and online are sometimes inaccurate. Can anyone verify that these do fit? Perhaps someone running them? Thank you drive through. Cause if this old boy can get a set of 159 buck headers, I'm all over it.

Long tube, 1-3/4" diam. tubes, 18 ga., w/1/4" flanges, 3" collectors w/ball & socket, the smaller diam. tubes should help with fittment some, not the best for all out performance thou, I'm sure you already know that, but they will suffice for a decent street car/combo {could really choke down a stroker combo, if you still plan on that latter down the road} & they will flow way better than any cast iron manifold, except maybe the 62-65 Max Wedge or S/S cast iron up-swept $900 Reproduction Factory Style Headers... I have never used the Hedman's on an early B-Body, but have used many sets of older Hedman's, on 67-70 B-Body & A-Body cars with great fittment, decent quality, especially for the price, for a painted 18 ga. header... $159.95 hell they are cheaper than the scavenger collectors, I just bought...

i wouldnt put headers on ANYTHING i owned.......but thats just me,,,,i hate 'em and theyre a royal PAIN IN THE *** ! ...........over...roger

He's right though they are a freakin royal pain, the "affordable" ones are the worst lol Though about going back to stock but when you have 500+ hp kinda hard to leave it contained out the back.

I have them on my '63 330. They fit great, required no clearancing and were very easy to install! Cheap to boot!

I'm the exact opposite. I will run a good set of headers any day over a set of manifolds!

I always use studs in the heads for the headers and have never had leaks. I would recommend re-torquing after you've heat cycled a couple of times but I do that on all my engine and transmission fasteners after break in.

Read the instructions thoroughly and follow them.

Passenger side comes up from the bottom and drivers side goes in from the top. I did lift the engine an inch or two off the mounts but they dropped right in!

I had those exact headers on my 64. If you have a 440 maybe I'd say go for it. Don't waste your money if you have a 383-400 block. They hit everywhere. Pan rails, trans pan rail, drag link, Starter... Mine had less than 60 miles on them. I cut them up with a sawzall and put manifolds back on. Not worth the hassle.

How did the plug wires work out?

I used Taylors and they fit the 906 heads/headers fine and I was able to route them where they're not even close to a pipe.

I'd use Firecore wires, though, if I had to do it again.

I've been running hedman elite headers on my 66 with a 440 for two years now. No header leaks or any other problems. I did have to use a mini starter. I like factory manifolds but if you want some extra horsepower use headers.
I ran the plug wires under the headers. Never had a problem.

As far as primary tube size: There have been several high end mag articles proving that because of the excellent shape of the big Chrysler exhaust port, that primary tube size makes minimal impact.....except in cases of extreme HP and TQ......so that doesn't really concern me. Thanks to those of you who answered that have actually used them. It is much appreciated.

Yes, I find it useful when people who have actually used the product in question reply...

Oh yeah, I used a mini starter as well. Not because I had to but because I had a brand new one on the shelf.

Maybe I should have rephrased my question. How bout this? What kinda headers do you run on your 63-65 Dodge or Plymouth B body? I am particularly interested in low deck applications, but please all chime in. Thank you drive through.

Maybe I should have rephrased my question. How bout this? What kinda headers do you run on your 63-65 Dodge or Plymouth B body? I am particularly interested in low deck applications, but please all chime in. Thank you drive through.

I'm interested to hear as well, winter project is a 431 stroker. "-)

I found Doug's D452. 2" primary tubes and 3.5" collectors. However, they say they will fit the 65 Coronet only with the 440. The 383 they show the D451 with 1 3/4 tubes. That's kinda strange. Seems the 383 would have more room.

These are the Hedman 1-3/4 tube headers I had on my old 440. Dont remember the part # as they came with the car. But they fit very good in my 63 Sport Fury. Ron

220000192.gif

- - - Updated - - -

These are the 2" TTI headers I use on my new 493 and they fit and work great. But the did cost $691 big ones. But they are the best headers I have ever had on a car. Ron

100_1469.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

These are the 2" TTI headers I use on my new 493 and they fit and work great. But the did cost $691 big ones. But they are the best headers I have ever had on a car. Ron

100_1469.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

These are the Hedman 1-3/4 tube headers I had on my old 440. Dont remember the part # as they came with the car. But they fit very good in my 63 Sport Fury. Ron

220000192.gif

These are the 2" hedmans on my new eng and they fit and work awesome. But they cost $691 big ones. Ron

100_1469.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

220000192.gif

These are the 2" hedmans on my new eng and they fit and work awesome. But they cost $691 big ones. Ron

100_1469.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I give up on this new board !!! Every time I try to edit it ends up postin g all over again. Sorry guys. Ron

It's ok Ron. It hangs up on me too. I've tried to figure out a way to explain it to
Joey but I can't put it into words. I do appreciate the info though.

tti ceramic coated headers on my RB blockin the '63 belvedere...and we have TTI on the HEMI...67 dodge R/T
both 4 speed cars and have mini starters.....BIG diff' in power!

BTW; they both are Red, Poverty caps,
They're Real and They are Spectacular !
(headers are like implants)

Auto Transport Service
Back