• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hearing loud banging under heavy acceleration...

cheapest and best thing to do is to re arch your springs and add a leaf. Best part is you don't need much for tools,either a anvil and a good sledge hammer or even a hydraulic press. I haven't checked, but I am sure there must be YouTube video on that, better than explaining. I did it myself over 20 plus years ago on my 73 and still good to this day!

cheapest and best thing to do is to re arch your springs and add a leaf. Best part is you don't need much for tools,either a anvil and a good sledge hammer or even a hydraulic press. I haven't checked, but I am sure there must be YouTube video on that, better than explaining. I did it myself over 20 plus years ago on my 73 and still good to this day!
I've done some 'spring bending' over the years......it works if you don't mind the work but back then new springs weren't all that available unless you bought them from a stealership.

As suggested earlier ESPO springs are great. I bought the 1" lift ones and they are spot on. Extra leaf on the drivers side too.

As suggested earlier ESPO springs are great. I bought the 1" lift ones and they are spot on. Extra leaf on the drivers side too.
I ended up having springs re arched locally with an added leaf many years ago. Ended up taking the extra leaf out. Done in 1991 car still sits nice.
Latest car, I wanted the car raised 1 inch at the bumper. Local spring shop had it done, perfect! Car handled well, just working on getting back togrther.

I've done some 'spring bending' over the years......it works if you don't mind the work but back then new springs weren't all that available unless you bought them from a stealership.
I didn't go threw the stealer ship, I got the leafs from a local company that dealt with all springs from cars to transport trucks, and the price was cheap.

Violent Wheel Hop?? I've experienced that on Fords & Chevies... But never on a Mopar... The short front spring segment tends to limit axle wrap up... You might blow the tires off but wheel hop??? Never in my experience...
Never say never. I had bad wheel hop on my Duster with 1" under ESPO springs. Idk, maybe they weren't up to the challenge for the 408 and a 4-speed. Bought another set from them, this time standard height HD, and no more hop.

I didn't go threw the stealer ship, I got the leafs from a local company that dealt with all springs from cars to transport trucks, and the price was cheap.
How long ago did you get them? Used to have a shop in Houston that did the same but they are long gone.....seems like there's not that many doing that kind of stuff anymore.

Did you lubricate the muffler bearings?
muffler bearings.jpg

Depends on your current belief is.....or what does your buddies next door neighbor's cousin's sister's husband's brother-in law's nephew uses on his 1978 Yugo.....a synthetic grease or a standard NLG 2 OR 3 OR 4 OR a high temp matetial because they can run hot......the authoritative source for all things unimportant......
BOB RENTON

BUT.......are the muffler bearings you prefer EITHER the tapered roller type or the straight cylindrical type you show in your pix or the "sealed for life" (whose life is never specified--yours or the bearing) GREEN style that some folks claim to be ideal solution for all their motoring needs? .......just a curious question......
BOB RENTON

BUT.......are the muffler bearings you prefer EITHER the tapered roller type or the straight cylindrical type you show in your pix or the "sealed for life" (whose life is never specified--yours or the bearing) GREEN style that some folks claim to be ideal solution for all their motoring needs? .......just a curious question......
BOB RENTON
These would be the green bearings. :lol:

BOB RENTON
C'mon Bob, you know that the Green Muffler bearings are to be avoided at all costs. :poke:

Timken tapered roller are the best as they don't interfere with the harmonics of most popular brands of muffler.

C'mon Bob, you know that the Green Muffler bearings are to be avoided at all costs. :poke:

Timken tapered roller are the best as they don't interfere with the harmonics of most popular brands of muffler.
AMEN.......GREEN muffler bearings or GREEN bearings in general, are to be avoided at ALL costs for fear that your mufflers will fail and your wheels coming off......
BOB RENTON

How long ago did you get them? Used to have a shop in Houston that did the same but they are long gone.....seems like there's not that many doing that kind of stuff anymore.
Well, if you every plan on visiting Niagara Falls on Canadian side, look up Niagara Spring, less than a mile from the lower Bridge that links Canada to USA. In addition the biggest Mopar car Show ( MoparFest) in Canada, New Hamburg, Ontario is this August 18th. Well over a thousand cars from all over Canada n New York State, Michigan State. It's a good place to score new and used parts for your mopar.

pinion snubber has always worked for me. Also don't forget the shocks. Poor shocks can amplify all problems in this area. Your ride height does not look that far off..

Auto Transport Service
Back