Daves69 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:18 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • RoadRunner1970

RoadRunner1970 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      2:18 AM
      This natural gas heater heats my 22 X 32 garage and keeps it toasty.........

IMG_1637.JPG

• Ron H

Ron H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I installed a Lennox suspended gas heater in my three-car garage some 20 years ago and a few years ago finally insulated the garage with solid Styrofoam and peg board. Despite all this and hanging tools all over I got too much shit to get rid of. I had a capped gas line put in - in the basement when building the house figuring someday linking this to extend out to the garage through the wall. I found a deal on eBay for the slightly used heater at a great price and went and got that. It was a pain hanging it up as the ceiling is drywalled and crawling around in the loft above that had a portion of it floor-boarded so location of the mounts was a bit of a bitch. Then drilled out the rear wall for the vent. I never got to installing an outlet nearby so it's corded to the nearest ceiling outlet by the garage opener. Does the trick keeping the garage to what temp I want in dead of winter.

• Ron H

Ron H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Here's a quick photo..

Garage Heater.jpg

• moparedtn

moparedtn Ed on the Ridge FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I am majorly limited in my selection here because the nearest natural gas is over a quarter mile away.
      I could run a line up the ridge here, but the gas company wants major loot to do so - not to mention, there's always a chance
      of the stuff leaking, which I have an almost irrational fear of, since I've seen the effects of that happening to others.
      (I'm in the fire protection biz, recall).

I could also have them plunk a propane tank up here, like sits at the side of so many rural farm houses out in these parts, I guess.
      That's actually a much more economical initial cost to me here - but again, the "boom" factor worries me.
      Seen that, no want.

This leaves me with the expensive to feed electrical option and I did wire my garage with 220/240VAC. I have a 220V compressor installed
      now, in fact, works fine. I was thinking a wall unit heat pump out of a motel (used) would be the most economical for full-time use
      year round, since some a/c would be nice out there in summer also - but heating in winter is the prime concern, of course.
      Is that not the case? Is anyone running a heat pump type setup now?

• Hemirunner

Hemirunner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      That’s a recipe for condensation and rust from my experience, especially with propane heat.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Gospel Runner

Gospel Runner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Does anyone use a wood stove in their garage? I can imagine it is dusty, but I love the look and feel of wood burning in a fireplace?

• dadsbee

dadsbee FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Guess you missed the very first response to your post... :canada:

• moparedtn

Local Time:
        I saw it. I want some of them thar fancy Italian "garaga" doors! :)

• jason79

jason79 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Most insurance companies here in Illinois will not insure a garage with a wood stove. Might want to check with yours before exploring that option.

• 74gtx

74gtx Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I use a 7500 watt heater in my 25x26 garage. I’m really not sure how much it adds to the electric bill because we recently moved. It was fairly inexpensive and I leave it at 52 degrees unless I’m working out there. I think it’s from dr infrared or something close to that. Good luck! Mike

• Lefty71

Lefty71 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        There was a discussion about these earlier in the year.... from what I recall, opinions were starting to lean hard in different directions strongly in a big hurry. Anyway, I did a job for a customer and used three new Sanyo high tech mini splits in a well insulated pole barn, built for old car storage and repair. These units will work on heat pump mode efficiently down in the way below zero range, like 20 below. (obviously we in ohio haven't been there in a while to know for sure). You need those specific low temp style to eliminate the need for direct resistance backup. The customer is very satisfied with the performance and monthly costs, and the units ran fine in this last winters weather, and he now has AC to boot. My two cents (as a natural gas lover); they were expensive up front, but simple to install. If you don't got gas, you still gotta do something right? Don't bother with the PTAC unit from a motel, you wont get any electrical efficiency, and it wont be big enough to do the job. HTH, Lefty71

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • moparedtn

Local Time:
          Thanks for that advice, Lefty. :)
          I'm already sure I don't want to do a PTAC, since it's not a heat pump.
          I am still considering a PTHP though, since they are - and they're a darn sight cheaper than a split unit.
          I dunno, man, tough call any way you slice it.

• 747mopar

747mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I love wood heat and heated my old poorly insulated 32X60 garage with wood heat for 20 years. I've painted cars and everything else with zero issues but keep in mind I had a separate vented room for painting so the fumes were kept clear of it. If your only heating it while your in there, don't mind the hassle and can still get coverage you can't hardly beat it.

Before deciding on a boiler I was leaning towards a propane unit heater to maintain a constant 50 degrees then a woodburner for when I was actually in the garage. I called around and here in Ohio there were Insurance companies that would still cover it even with a woodburner so check first.

I agree though that only heating it while your using it isn't ideal but if you don't spend a lot of time in there then it doesn't make sense. In our old garage it took forever to get warm then everything you touched sucked the warmth out of you not to mention if you even stood still your feet went numb! I'm heating my new one 24/7.

• andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          11:18 PM
          I put radiant floor heat in my shop when we built it 15 years ago and it was one my best ever decisions. Having the floors warm on a cold day is just the best. I had a friend come over today to work on his car. It was 40 degrees and foggy this morning which in the old days would've kept me from working in my unheated shop. But with the heated floors we just laid down on some carpet strips and starting rebuilding his front suspension. My last shop was unheated and it really limited the number of days per year that I could work on my projects. Once it got below 50 degrees it was just too painful to work for long periods of time. Handling cold metal tools for very long would suck enough heat out of my hands that I'd start to cramp up. Super miserable way to have fun! It is supposed to be a fun hobby not a torture session.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • Mopar69 Bee

Mopar69 Bee Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            95DAFEFC-B701-4C3C-B7D5-C2A77914D3F4.jpeg
            1E92D564-2799-4FF6-B4F4-B26E3A83D62F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
            • Gospel Runner

Gospel Runner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              Since I knew I was going to put in the lift, there was no need to go with radiant. I am second guessing that now, but I have a propane heater that I used to use in my last garage that I am going to use for now, while I save up for a few projects I am going to tackle in the spring. Thanks for sharing!

• moparedtn

Local Time:
              Radiant heat may be wonderful, but for the topic at hand not very helpful. These rascals are built already, after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:

Regarding radiant floor heat, if you were to throw open the doors on a cold day & the garage is now at 40-45 degrees, how long does it take to warm back up?

• dla4567

dla4567 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                If the garage has been heated than all the objects in the garage are warm as well. So if the doors are only opened for a short time then closed, garage will warm back up quickly. If the heat has been off and everything in the garage is cold, turn the heat on and come back tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                  By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.