• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heating The Garage

My garage (well pole barn) has no insulation under slab (I bought the house with it, not my idea).

I have a combo unit, gas heat and A/C mounted on a small slab outside next to the building.

Not sure why but the floor stays nice and warm. Even melts the snow on the floor 8" past the door outside.

I was going to install one of these units but now that I am ready to install one I hear the town where I live has passed a ordnance against there use
00r0r_bndTXQzP3aJ_1200x900.jpg
now I believe its time to check the legality of them here , new people move in and dont like there smell

I was going to install one of these units but now that I am ready to install one I hear the town where I live has passed a ordnance against there use View attachment 686974now I believe its time to check the legality of them here , new people move in and dont like there smell
That sucks, have you asked about the new ones? I have the newest version of that which is a gassifier meaning it burns even the fumes so it's very clean. I fired it up in Oct and still haven't emptied the ashes and from the looks it'll be Jan or Feb before I do! They also have options for long stacks to get the exhaust above the roofline.

No but I sure am going to find out I originally wanted to put in a cori vac system the radiant heat tube system the this unit came up

Check again in February and let us know as you still have heat from the summer time
It's 10 degrees outside and my floor is 65 degrees with the stat on 68, want me to check again when it's -10:poke:.

20190120_201843.jpg

I was going to install one of these units but now that I am ready to install one I hear the town where I live has passed a ordnance against there use View attachment 686974now I believe its time to check the legality of them here , new people move in and dont like there smell
Installed one at my neighbors property last year, a couple of sizes up from that. He is heating his 80 x 40 shop, his 20 x 30 shop, 2,800 sq ft home and domestic hot water for the home and large shop. Only concern is the amount of wood it consumes, it is on a 100 acre property, with a 20 acre wood lot. If you had to purchase fuel, it wood get expensive. That unit above,has a side natural gas burner, waste oil burner is the way I would go. The main reason I like the outdoor boiler, is, if you live out in the country, and for what ever reason, you have a fire, by the time the F.D. arrives, you have all ready lost everything, and they will save your foundation L.O.L.....With that outdoor boiler system, if by chance you passed by a window and noticed the boiler is engulfed in flames, it is of no threat to you, simply turn the supplementary heat on, and deal with the outdoor stuff when you can.

Pretty cool, definitely worth considering if you're building a new garage.
What's the ambient air temperature?
It's not radiant floor heat, just showing that a garage heated 24/7 also has warm floors. I just have a furnace where I use the blower fan to move air through a hydronic heat exchanger.

It's not radiant floor heat, just showing that a garage heated 24/7 also has warm floors. I just have a furnace where I use the blower fan to move air through a hydronic heat exchanger.
Ah ok, got ya. :thumbsup:

We woke up to chilly single digits this morning and, since all I have are some little 110V "milk barn" heaters out there,
it's like a walk-in freezer in my garage right now. :-(

Ah ok, got ya. :thumbsup:

We woke up to chilly single digits this morning and, since all I have are some little 110V "milk barn" heaters out there,
it's like a walk-in freezer in my garage right now. :-(
I don't miss that lol. My last shop was only heated while I was working in it, over 20 years of working in that shop was enough for me.. I feel for you.

I don't miss that lol. My last shop was only heated while I was working in it, over 20 years of working in that shop was enough for me.. I feel for you.
Eh, it ain't such a bad gig.
I'm actually blessed to have what I have at this point in life, given the circumstances and recent events. :praying:

That and I do still have memories of rolling around under a car outside...on gravel. :eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back