• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hei Distributor…which post is #1?

B3vedere267

Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
Installing an Hei distributor on the 318 in my Belvedere. Have searched and can’t really find what I am looking for. Motor is at TDC and when I drop the distributor in, it points at cylinder #7.
0D26D91D-2693-4FAD-850D-C656CFE4FA94.jpeg

Does this mean when I put the cap on, the post the rotor is pointing to on the distributor is where the #1 plug wire should be? Should I go clockwise from that post when installing the wires? I can move the distributor and that post changes…Thank you in advance.

#1 cylinder at TDC on the "ignition stroke" - wherever the rotor is pointing is #1 OR pull the dist out and rotate the shaft 180 deg. and that can be your #1. Don't like that spot either ... pull the dist out, pull out the oil pump drive and rotate it and do it all again!

You are at TDC. But is it TDC of #1 cylinder on compression stroke?

If you are , then where ever your rotor is pointing this is #1 plugwire. Get the firing order and install the rest of the wires, I belive the small block rotation is clockwise.

Start engine with timing light hooked up and adjust timing ..

It is the compression stroke. My other question is, if I turn the distributor like when I am timing it, the post changes…so how do I know which is correct, or is it always the one the rotor is pointing at?

Get the engine on top dead center on the balancer. But make sure you are on the compression stroke. Easy to do if you already have number 1 plug out put your finger over the spark plug hole and rotate the engine till it blows your finger. Don't stick your finger in the hole.. Once it blows your finger stop rotating the engine. It should be on or real close to TDC. THen pull your cap off and it should be pointing to number one post on the distributor cap. That is where your number 1 plug wire goes. Then the Firing order is 18436572 clock wise.

Mopar-Firing-Order.jpg

The FSM shows the rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder when the oil pump shaft is moved to that position.
It only matters if trying to reproduce the factory spark plug routing / locations, otherwise #1 is the terminal under the rotor with #1 cylinder at TDC compression.
Or #6 if the distributor rotor is installed 180 degrees out.
I like to rough time the engine by setting the engine damper to around 10-15 degrees before TDC, then rotate the distributor til the points just start to open, or the reluctor and pickup are aligned on the stock type electronic dist. That usually is good to get the engine running so you can set advance with a timing light.

Not sure about the small blocks, but for the spark plug wire kit i purchased for my BB it was needed to set the rotor to point to cyl#1 to make easier use of the plug wiring lengths and routing.
I guess the manufacturers of those wiring kit also assume you put it as factory setup.

But yeah, you may lift the distributor and rotate the rotor to any position you like to determine where #1 spark plug wire is.

Auto Transport Service
Back