• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hei...good or bad

old_skool

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Saw some HEI distributors for my 318 relatively inexpensive, is it a decent system?, working on an extremely tight budget. I'll upgrade to better equipment when I eventually swap to a 383/400, but would like the advantage of electronic ignition, too much $$$ and I'll have to stick with points.

if you go down this road, keep in your budget enough $$ for an extra hei control module + the tools to change it in your glove box, if you sneeze near them or look at them the wrong way they'll leave you on the side of the road

if you go down this road, keep in your budget enough $$ for an extra hei control module + the tools to change it in your glove box, if you sneeze near them or look at them the wrong way they'll leave you on the side of the road

Not what I wanted to hear, I figured since brand-x has been using them they might be ok, but I guess the aftermarket hasn't caught on on how to make them....or everything now a days is coming out of china. Since it's an easy swap, I might keep the points distributor handy for a switch back, which would probably be easier if stranded.

Thanks for the hindsight, it's what I asked for...points are looking better everyday, maybe I'll just get another points distributor or rebuild the bushings in mine, if parts are available, after my car warms up, my dwell gets a little erratic, losing gap due to worn bushings.

thankfully if the HEI module does go on you, it's a 3 minute swap, even if you're sitting on the off ramp in a '55 Chevy while strange people are stopping and trying to tell you that your spark plug gap might be wrong and that's why it suddenly died after driving around all morning (ask me how I know this...........)

That's the nice thing also about points, coils seldom go bad, and points/condenser are cheap enough to carry spares, and you can install them in minutes as well, I figured HEI should be one of those items you can install and forget about it for the rest of your life, that's pretty much the quality of most stock HEI systems out there, wonder why the aftermarket ones are prone to failing, quality??

Nothing worse than an off-ramp mechanic.

I've installed the HEI module conversion in several vehicles (including a 71 Datsun station wagon) and have never had a problem. The plus side is that the HEI modules are available at almost any parts store where as points might be more difficult to source.

Nothing worse than an off-ramp mechanic.

I've installed the HEI module conversion in several vehicles (including a 71 Datsun station wagon) and have never had a problem. The plus side is that the HEI modules are available at almost any parts store where as points might be more difficult to source.

Well, that's a little more relief, but points aren't that hard to source, and I always keep spares in the glove box, but I would like the benefit of a modern dist, plus my dist needs rebuilt.

I have installed a few on customers cars, and have quite a few problems with the cheap chinese ones....I would rather leave the points distributor in...they worked fine for 50 years!!!!!

who sells replacement bushings for points dist, and how hard are they to replace?

Since you didn't mention what brand, it's hard to say.

I bought a Skip White setup...$56! Fully self contained and no more need for a balast resistor. You can make a jumper wire and simply connect the wires together or remove the 'balast' out of the balast resistor housing and install a piece of wire in its place, then re-install in the car. Mine is a `66 (one wire). If working with a two wire balast, then you need to do both. Plug wires will need female ends for the distrib cap. Autozone sells 8mm MSD Street Fire univerals for $50 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...al-wireset/_/N-25vr?itemIdentifier=25300_0_0_ Kit is easy to use, comes with a nice cutter/ stripper fixture you can use in a vise.

I have had this setup on for almost three years (about 2,500 miles) without incident. I am using an off-the-shelf Accel coil http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...iqqwdZa0466?itemIdentifier=133397_92207_1927_ and have had no problems to date.

Note:(...and this may have been just a fluke with my distributor only) When I dropped it in, it was off by one cylinder. This was easily remedied by pulling it back out and re-indexing the drive gear a tooth. I reached in with some 'mechanical fingers'; rotated it up and out; then dropped it back in one tooth over from where it was. put the distributor back in and all was fine.

In the mid-70's working at a dealership, when a car was towed in 90% of the time you could go outside with a set of points and condenser and get the car to run. You also did a tuneup every 6 months. When you went to electronic ignition, it might be years till you removed that distributor cap again. At the very least I would go to the "MP performance conversion kit". It is time tested and very close to factory and accepted.

Next choice would be the HEI conversion to a stock electronic distributor. Which I think is what you are asking.

I personally don't like the HEI setup but it is a fair alternative. You should also keep a spare rotor in the glove box as it is not unusual for the rotor to burn through and short the spark to the distributor shaft. When I sold auto parts, I saw more bad rotors than modules on these systems.

Got my distributor today, installed, just have to buy a hei wire set, and I'll be ready to fire up and test. By the way, riverside and skip white on ebay are the same product, skip purchases for both vendors, shane is the owner for riverside.

Auto Transport Service
Back