• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! 440 in my 73 charger oil pan clearance issue

lwrdr420

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
So I got a 440 motor backed by a 727 transputer of a Chrysler new yorker for my 73 charger. Dropping it in though the oil pan is laying on the k member an holding it up if the mount about 3 inches. This is my first Mopar and I know it's probably an easy fix but not ur. Was told the car had a big block in it before I got it but can't verify that. The mounts seem to line up except for the oil pan issue. From what I understand there is 2 oil pans. 4x4 and then 2wd and car. I assumes coming from a New Yorker it would be correct. How do I go this! I want to hear it rumble.

The “971” stamped pan is the correct one for that application. Not all C-body pans will work for ’73 and up b-bodies. Will need the corresponding pick-up as well. New pieces can be had from Mopar Performance, P5007807AB & pickup P5007848.

Last edited:
I think a "402" pan will work as well, maybe also a "187".

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

hello

- - - Updated - - -

Try Supershafts in New York, he may be able to help you.

- - - Updated - - -

What are the large numbers stamped on your oil pan, on the bottom?

- - - Updated - - -

The 971 may be the best one to use

Looks like you have the wrong pan. Check C List in your area. Under auto parts type 440, Im sure you will find a lot of stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like there are a lot of 440 parts on the Pittsburg C List

I believe my pan is a 187. Same setup as you otherwise. Originally a Satellite with small block. I bought the car with the 440 installed already. The front of the pan was hammered some toward the rear to clear the frame. I don't know what was done on the pickup. The guys at 440source told me the pan is for an A body with a 440 like the 69 Darts and Cudas. If it were up to me, instead of beating up on the pan, I would have cut the rear of K frame and reinforced it to make room. By the way, mine is a 1973 also with a 68 motor. Good luck!

699 on mine , 74 charger 440. Zero modifications bolt on and go

Attachments

• newpan1.jpg
    newpan1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
The “971” stamped pan is the correct one for that application. Not all C-body pans will work for ’73 and up b-bodies. Will need the corresponding pick-up as well. New pieces can be had from Mopar Performance, P5007807AB & pickup P5007848.

Yep a 971 pan is what came on BB in 73-4. 933 is a C-body pan and doesn't fit in the 73-4 B-body. Best bet is the MP pan list above.
Also the 187 and 699 are C-body pans but work for a BB in an A-body. BB A-bodies came with a 893 pan from the factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back