• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!! having shifter problems

belvedere 67

Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Im pulling my hair out over this one (what I have left). When I bought my belvedere it had an older hurst shifter that has fairly sloppy. It worked but going from 3rd to 4th took a little effort. So last summer I bought a brand new hurst shifter and put it in last fall. I haven't drove it hardly at all before I parked it for the winter. But what little I have I've having a hard time shifting into first and into 2nd. It seems like it binding somewhere. Reverse in good, 3rd and 4th is good. I thought that maybe the bushing were worn out so I just took out all the linkage and put in bushings in today. Still not much better. I made sure the gears on the tranny were all in neutral and I had the plastic pin in the shifter itself when I installed the linkage so I know they should all be in the neutral position. The only thing I havent messed with is the large bolts on the front and the back of the shifter. Any advice? I don't want to have to tow the damn thing to a shop to have something that is simple fixed. Thanks for any help.

You should take care of these adjuster Bolts...
from the Hurst Web Site
What is the proper way to adjust my Hurst four speed shifter?

There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers. This is called the neutral alignment hole. To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral. Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit) into the neutral alignment hole. If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the interference. Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse. To adjust the stop bolts, back the bolts out of the shifter frame until only a few threads remain. Push the stick firmly into third gear and hold. Screw in the stop bolt until contact is made. Release the stick and back the stop bolt out one turn and tighten the jamnut. Push the stick into fourth gear and repeat the procedure.

With every thing in neutral disconect the 1-2 linkage at trans and check for binding when shifting into 1 & 2 you may have a bent shift fork in the transmission.

Auto Transport Service
Back