• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a 1970 HP2 440

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
I bought this with my charger. Non numbers matching, but is supposedly date correct.

Any ideas what this might have come out of based on the number stamped on it?

Appears to be the standard 4bbl 440 based on pistons. I’m assuming it’s from the same plant as all the 70 Chargers since they were all supposedly built at the St Louis plant?

8BC59783-1C61-47C5-95BA-1E4131D8FF8C.jpeg 74C66E61-E2BE-4EF8-B119-6C1FC4FE2A8A.jpeg

The pad states F440, where F stands for 1970 and the HP is a 375hp version.
The number on the side stamping "0" also indicates 1970 and the G code means it is St. Lois plant.
Not only Chargers were made in St. Lois so it could also have been from another model, as per Allpar information they also produced Coronet's, Belvidere's and Monaco's in 1970.
Hard to tell where it had come out of since they did not stamp the full VIN in the side pad anymore.

Anyway IMO you can call that date correct enough, unless you go for production date castings and go deeper in the fender tag.
BTW, you have a picture of the date casting on the side of the block, like as shown below? (is from my car)

upload_2022-2-22_8-50-47.png

Maybe Dan will chime in. He keeps a database on things like that and he can tell by the vin number when it was produced and what they were possible making at the time.

Just a guess.., October 1969 VIN.

I can get you this close....

XS29U0G159904 with an SPD of B12 exists.
159906 Engine in question
RM21N0G160122 with an SPD of B14 exists.

So it's likely the engine came from a Charger with an SPD of B12 OR a Road Runner or GTX with an SPD of B14.

As cars were built well before and after the SPD, using the engine assembly date gives us some, but not absolute, guidance on the actual assembly date.

Not only Chargers were made in St. Lois so it could also have been from another model, as per Allpar information they also produced Coronet's, Belvidere's and Monaco's in 1970.

Looks like some editing is needed at Allpar. For model year 1970 St. Louis was a B body only plant meaning it built Belvederes, Coronets and Chargers. It did not build C body Monaco's.

Looks like some editing is needed at Allpar. For model year 1970 St. Louis was a B body only plant meaning it built Belvederes, Coronets and Chargers. It did not build C body Monaco's.

Allpar should be correct, i mentioned them as they were build around the years of 1970, i believe it said 1968-1975 or something like that so i assumed they could have build Challengers as well.
But i know you and you have quite some more knowledge about this then me :)

Auto Transport Service
Back