• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me choose an intake manifold

A stack of camshafts for a $100?

Do you know there specs?

There’s a couple crane fireballs, MoPar purple shaft cams in a few different sizes, a comp cams mechanical roller with something like 880 lift. Guy was cleaning out his shop. They all have the cam cards with them. To answer a couple of your guy’s questions I would like to make around 550 horsepower, the car will be driven on the highway but likely not very far, there are only small highways around me and the maximum speed is around 60 mph. Currently the car runs mid 12s and I have a whole stack of time slips, one of which reads 9.8 so maybe the previous owner was running nitrous? It’s had about 30 passes on it in the last few years or so. I already have plans to drive a different car to work or school so practicality is of little concern I just want something that makes a good amount of power nothing crazy and makes lots of noise. By what I’m hearing sounds like a single plane will be better than a dual plane. Is it possible to make above 500 horsepower with the stock iron cylinder heads? I have the choice of 906 or 915 castings.

There’s a couple crane fireballs, MoPar purple shaft cams in a few different sizes, a comp cams mechanical roller with something like 880 lift. Guy was cleaning out his shop. They all have the cam cards with them. To answer a couple of your guy’s questions I would like to make around 550 horsepower, the car will be driven on the highway but likely not very far, there are only small highways around me and the maximum speed is around 60 mph. Currently the car runs mid 12s and I have a whole stack of time slips, one of which reads 9.8 so maybe the previous owner was running nitrous? It’s had about 30 passes on it in the last few years or so. I already have plans to drive a different car to work or school so practicality is of little concern I just want something that makes a good amount of power nothing crazy and makes lots of noise. By what I’m hearing sounds like a single plane will be better than a dual plane. Is it possible to make above 500 horsepower with the stock iron cylinder heads? I have the choice of 906 or 915
Build a motor that's going to last you more than 10 years. It can be done using a roller cam . Aluminum heads is the best way to go for a projected build of over 500 hp. There's people out there that drive high horsepower cars that are durable enough to drive almost every day. It just comes down to how much you're realistically wanting to spend.

.....I would like to make around 550 horsepower,

Currently the car runs mid 12s and I have a whole stack of time slips, one of which reads 9.8 so maybe the previous owner was running nitrous? It’s had about 30 passes on it in the last few years or so.

Is it possible to make above 500 horsepower with the stock iron cylinder heads? I have the choice of 906 or 915 castings.

Have you run it at the track, or just the previous owner?

Can you post a few of the very latest time slips. The details of the time slips will tell us a lot about current power.

Have you done a cranking cylinder pressure test? If not, can you do one and report the values?

And yes, it is possible to make 500 hp with iron heads, but you'll pay for them.

Last edited:
It depends on hood clearance and air cleaner type, but you can take a look at the Mopar Performance Wedge: Mopar Performance P5153525 Mopar Performance Dual Plane Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing
This works like a hybrid between single and dual plane. I installed this on my 440, and it gives the engine a very broad power curve and good throttle response. This intake is very similar to the Edelbrock Performer RPM (maybe it is the same intake, just labeled as Mopar).

The Holley 300-14 Street Dominator has become our default Intake Manifold for ~500+ pump gas 440's where under hood clearance may be an issue(NO scoop).
It ain't sexy... it ain't cool.... but it's Ports line up better than anything from Eddy OOTB... it fits underhood and it works !

as mentioned....
get some CRANKING PRESSURE data from the current Engine/Piston/Cam setup BEFORE making any Engine Combo/Cam "change" decisions..... the DCR or Dynamic Compression Ratio being absolutely critical as a known beforehand..... LEST YOU THROW DARTS TO GO SLOWER !

kjdy.jpg

:monkeyleft::monkeyleft::monkeyleft: :D

Street dominator intake and a drop base air filter housing from summit works well on my 70 N96 car with four bbl carburetor setup. I would just drive the car for a while and get used to living with a daily driver antique muscle car before I started looking at head or cam swaps.

Oh it’s not a daily driver, I will look for a time slip when I get home and post a photo

Auto Transport Service
Back