• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me Choose Rocker Arms!

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
I had put an order in for a set of PRW stainless 1:5 rockers but they were backordered. I had read enough bad reviews after that I cancelled my order and am looking again. Big reason I liked them was no roller bearings on the arm, they were bushed.

Street driven 440, stock stroke.
Hughes solid lifter cam, .558"/.564" lift, 1:5, closed pressure, 155# ; open pressure, 435#
Stealth aluminum heads

Prices are insane for good ones but I really don't want cheap chinese rockers sooooo, I will entertain a good set in the $500 -$700 range. I would really like bushed arms as opposed to roller bearings and something that will have the best geometry out of the box.

1st choice would be Comp Cams Pro Magnum. Cromoly steel, roller tips, bushed from what I can tell. Price is $709 https://m.summitracing.com/parts/cc...W3Fon3UqDoaAkX18P8HAQ&ibanner=MobileSwitchYes

2nd choice are Harland Sharp heavy duty roller rockers, 1:5, aluminum full roller bearing. Name gets great recognition but do I want/need aluminum rollers for a street motor? $693
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s70015k

3rd chice are the Hughes 5:1 rockers. They talk a big game and have more product detail than the others, overkill for my application. Also $750
http://www.manciniracing.com/hubigbl1cncr.html

4th choice Crane Ductile Iron rockers. Comes in a set but no shaft or spacer hardware. Non roller tip but I like the simplicity of this set but the rocker shafts are sold extra. $459.61 + $67 for shafts
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/crn-64770-16

Doesn't Hughes make rockers? You have their cam why not use their rockers

Doesn't Hughes make rockers? You have their cam why not use their rockers

They do but they are on the upper end of what I want to spend. Also, they are aluminum riding on a hardened shaft. I can get the same setup in ductile iron and be stronger. I just think they are a bit overkill. And expensive.

I found an old set of ISKY ductile iron arms with the hardened tips.
Put good banana grooved shafts and good hold down hardware on the engine.
KISS!
Rollers are cool until they end up in the crankcase.

I used Comps Magnum rockers, contact was spot on and I like the bushed vs needle bearings. I also like the ductile iron and Harland Sharp rockers, any of the three will do you good (never used Huges). I've also had a cheaper set and would run stamped rockers before I'd run any cheap roller rocker again.

I bought mine from RAS.
They specialize in blueprinting old ductile iron rocker arms.
I believe his shafts are made in the states, but I could be wrong on that.
Nice machijed oil grooves and I bought the hold down hardware from them as well.

They do but they are on the upper end of what I want to spend. Also, they are aluminum riding on a hardened shaft. I can get the same setup in ductile iron and be stronger. I just think they are a bit overkill. And expensive.

Check out Dove rockers. I believe they make them for Huges

i wouldn't use ductile iron with that cams lift and spring pressure. the fulcrums aren't bushed and gall up fairly easily plus geometry is harder to set up due to the large scrub pattern at higher lifts. if you use any type of iron make sure it's bushed. alum will live with that cam and roller tips are easier to set up geometry. harland sharp is good or maybe look at hughes stuff. the comp cams stuff is heavy but should be durable. shaft material and surface treatment is important.

In ever heard that about ductile arms, ever, must be a end user issue.
No offense

Crower makes stainless steel roller rockers... just throwing it out there

Part of the blue printing process done at RAU is installing bronze bushings in the body and narrowing the width of the arms to work with shims and chromoly hold downs.

I called Crane and he said no issues with lift limitations as long as the open pressure does not exceed 600lbs. Also said no issues with stock rocker shafts as long they are new.

So I went ahead and placed my order for the ductile iron rockers. I really couldn't pass up the simplicity of them compared to others. Price was decent too. Thanks for all the input.

ductile-iron.jpg

the issue with ductile iron is well known and not my fantasy. they're '50's technology. why do you think newer designed iron rockers are bushed? similar or same metals (iron rocker/iron shaft) usually aren't happy with each other. ductile iron is a far cry from a suitable high rpm/high spring load rocker. who here knows how to set up the scrub pattern with them; or maybe i should ask who has the patience.

I called Crane and he said no issues with lift limitations as long as the open pressure does not exceed 600lbs. Also said no issues with stock rocker shafts as long they are new.

So I went ahead and placed my order for the ductile iron rockers. I really couldn't pass up the simplicity of them compared to others. Price was decent too. Thanks for all the input.
ductile iron on factory shafts will eat up the fulcrums. ductile on an inductioned hardened shaft is a better combo, but know way on the planet would i even think about 600lbs open pressure or .550"+ lift. i've i had too many sets of them; factory and crane.

3wood, call RAU. Their shafts are hardened chrome and are grooved.
Maintaining a good oil wedge is going to help.

Auto Transport Service
Back