• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me Understand the Batteries

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
I notice that many classic Mopars where the owner is trying to preserve the original look or numbers matching have batteries with colored reservoir tops (red, green or yellow). Is there any rhyme or reason as to which cars got what color battery top? I never investigated this with my Dart because I installed an Optima battery in the car. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

There is a link pinned to the top of one of the pages that explains about the years and colors….just not sure where it’s pinned. Found it, go to electronics and ignition, it’s pinned at the top.

'69 Dart's came with green cap batteries..
1969dartswingercruisemay152021 041.JPG

I've seen caps on batteries from Mountain Dew bottles.

I notice that many classic Mopars where the owner is trying to preserve the original look or numbers matching have batteries with colored reservoir tops (red, green or yellow). Is there any rhyme or reason as to which cars got what color battery top? I never investigated this with my Dart because I installed an Optima battery in the car. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/battery-topper-kit-and-cap-color-chart.195930/

I was kinda surprised to find that my 69 440rr came with a 24 series battery, even though it has a 27 size battery box. According to the broadcast sheet.

:wtf: ... gotta remember to quote the nonsense, otherwise always left looking stupid when they delete...

Last edited:
I was kinda surprised to find that my 69 440rr came with a 24 series battery, even though it has a 27 size battery box. According to the broadcast sheet.
I believe all 69.5 RR with the 440 6BBL came with the group 24 as they were originally slated to be 383 cars. There was no factory 440 4 barrel option in the roadrunner.

I believe all 69.5 RR with the 440 6BBL came with the group 24 as they were originally slated to be 383 cars. There was no factory 440 4 barrel option in the roadrunner.
Right. Mine is an A12.

20190403_194021.jpg
Riverside raceway, just before it closed, in 1988. Still in my garage.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back