• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help: need UCA torque specs

Dan mckillip

Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
I'm installing upper control arms on 64 polara, I can't seem to find torque specs on bolts attaching to body. Anyone help with this?
Thanks!

20210825_161840.jpg

I just looked at the 1964 factory service manual.There is no torque spec listed.There is a misprint stating the lower control arm twice with a torque of 180 ft lbs and 130 ft lbs. ?? It has been proven that the manuals do have wrong info printed most often the torque specs.
The 1966 FSM shows a torque of 65 ft lbs. At 65 ft lbs I have found that is not enough.Hit the brakes hard and that torque will not hold the cams from turning.
If you must torque I would go a minimum of 100 ft lbs. I did alignments for years and would make them as tight as possible.Didn't want comebacks.
Just my thought,others may differ.

Has any one actually put a torque wrench in there? I think tightening them as good and tight as you can with a 1/2” ratchet with one good arm on it should do.

Has any one actually put a torque wrench in there? I think tightening them as good and tight as you can with a 1/2” ratchet with one good arm on it should do.
That's what I do but I also understand not everyone has wrenched most of their life to know what's tight enough.

The funny thing is, you can only get a torque wrench in there when the car is off the wheels, or has the front wheel removed, but then you can't tighten them because you need the car on it's tires with the full weight - it's a real catch-22.
The hard part is as you get older and your strength decreases or you get a bit of arthritis, you might not be tightening it as much as you once were.

That's what I do but I also understand not everyone has wrenched most of their life to know what's tight enough.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate all.
I originally, before I posted this question, set torque
Wrench to 100 ft lb. And stripped the bolt threads. (wheel not loaded) Couldn't find a torque spec, so pulled stripped bolts out and installed the original bolts to 35 ft lb to be safe. The bolt is a 1/2", but its flat on one side. Ill up load a picture of stripped bolts and original bolts.

So I installed the original bolts to 35 ft lbs, ill run the final torque on the nuts when the wheel is loaded at ride height. ?
Sound reasonable?
Thanks for feedback.
Dan

Cam bolt nuts = 65 foot-pounds per FSM

20210825_181936.jpg 20210825_184438.jpg

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate all.
I originally, before I posted this question, set torque
Wrench to 100 ft lb. And stripped the bolt threads. (wheel not loaded) Couldn't find a torque spec, so pulled stripped bolts out and installed the original bolts to 35 ft lb to be safe. The bolt is a 1/2", but its flat on one side. Ill up load a picture of stripped bolts and original bolts.

So I installed the original bolts to 35 ft lbs, ill run the final torque on the nuts when the wheel is loaded at ride height. ?
Sound reasonable?
Thanks for feedback.
Dan

View attachment 1157843 View attachment 1157852
Yeah for some reason, in my manual anyway, the spec for the cam bolts isn't in the "Tightening Reference" section. They give it at the very end of the Upper Control Arm Installation section, after instructing to "measure and adjust vehicle height and wheel alignment".

I'm a fairly strong guy, I just torque them with a regular wrench but your alignment guy will likely be the last guy to wrench on them. Yes, torqued sitting on it's full weight but loosen them back up and let the bushing relax before final torque. Reason for this is the rubber bushings are bonded to the steel sleeve and do not rotate but instead it twists the rubber. Torquing the bolts with the suspension dangling locks the bushings in at the lowest point meaning the rubber is already loaded at ride height, hit some big bumps and your really stretching the limits. In short, they'll last much longer if done correctly.. or add poly bushings which do rotate.

My guess is they're grade 5 at the very least.
Screenshot_20210825-195039.png

I'm a fairly strong guy, I just torque them with a regular wrench but your alignment guy will likely be the last guy to wrench on them. Yes, torqued sitting on it's full weight but loosen them back up and let the bushing relax before final torque. Reason for this is the rubber bushings are bonded to the steel sleeve and do not rotate but instead it twists the rubber. Torquing the bolts with the suspension dangling locks the bushings in at the lowest point meaning the rubber is already loaded at ride height, hit some big bumps and your really stretching the limits. In short, they'll last much longer if done correctly.. or add poly bushings which do rotate.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back