• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on back glass( double curve ) 1968 GTX

dave5237

Reaction score
I am getting my front windshield and back glass installed on my 68 b-body. The installer wants me to get the gaskets. A local supplier says that he thinks THERE IS NO BACK GASKET THAT IT IS HELD IN BY ADHESIVE. IS THIS CORRECT? Or is there a gasket for that back glass and if so let me know. I wanted to get the gaskets from METRO SUPERSOFT and have found the front glass gasket, Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

So MOPARSTEVE . Why is there a gasket they sell for the front windshield. Or is that what your calling a butyl strip. Because someone on this site is selling the windshield gasket. I just happened to see it is moparsteve that is selling the gaskets on the site here.

Last edited:
Thickness

FYI : There are three different thicknesses of raw butyl tape, for rear glass installation. 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 inch. 1/4 is usually too thin (but sometimes nessesary, depending on work done around the window). Factory was 3/8 but the rear windows were slightly pressured into place & the kit was slightly compressed. So if you want to be sure to be able to snap your mouldings back on, go with a 5/16th inch kit. Just my 2 cents, Hope this helps

There are small plastic spacers used on the bottom to keep the glass off metal also, not sure if you can buy them anywhere or if you saved them when you pulled your back window.

Hi Ron 73. I DID NOT SEE THE SPACERS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT ON THE FIRST WEB SITE. JUST THE METAL CLIPS THAT I ALLREADY HAVE. ANY HELP HERE ON THAT OR AM I GETTING OLD ( IF ANYBODY HAS THE SPACER DIMENSIONS I CAN ALWAYS MAKE THEM ). Thanks guys. I saw butyl tape but did not have a clue what it was and were to get it. Thanks Ron73 for those links. I usually buy from a local guy here to save on shipping but you never know what he can get and price. I am trying to get the gasket from the local guy who buys from METRO SUPERSOFT but are not sure if METRO carries the spacers or kit. If not I will buy from the links you gave me. Thanks to all. I will post some pics when done.

There are small plastic spacers used on the bottom to keep the glass off metal also, not sure if you can buy them anywhere or if you saved them when you pulled your back window.

When I bought my butyl tape for my rear glass (69 Charger), I bought the 3M brand 5/16" and the little spacers (rubber blocks) were included with the kit. I got the butyl at the local parts store, I'll check and see if I still have the box it came in and find a part number.

Jason

I went out in the shop and looked, the p/n for 3M is #08611. I also bought a couple of those suction cups to hold/pick up the glass. I followed the instructions in the FSM, it was a piece of cake to install. My wife lent me a hand. Installing glass and trim took less than an hour.

Jason

101_0601.jpg

Thanks jaak. I think I just might do the back window myself after your comments. I hate to sound dumb but what is the FSM. I take it its the kit.

Thanks jaak. I think I just might do the back window myself after your comments. I hate to sound dumb but what is the FSM. I take it its the kit.

FSM= Factory Service Manual. If you don't have a FSM, I can tell you step by step how to do it...... nothing to it.

Jason

I figured it was Service Manual but just couldnt come up with that darn Factory. I bought a service manual for 68 dodge and plymouth years ago and will have to look in there. The manual is so chopped up it is hard to find stuff. Thanks.

pinch weld primer

I did mine myself but have had years of experience in restoration. Remember this very important part of this installation if you are doing it yourself. Make sure your pinch weld around the window is clean and don`t forget to apply the pinchweld primer and completely cover the flat of the pinchweld or your butyl kit will not stick properly. Also install all your window clips BEFORE you install your glass. I didn`t have the original stop blocks on the bottom so i used two pieces of hard rubber that was 3/8 " thick & 1 1/2" long. Stood them up at the bottom to put the glass in and offer a guide and then turned them down & left them there, so the window will not settle when the car is in the sun. You can see one block laying on the dutchmen panel just before i put the window in.

Attachments

• 2 059.jpg
    2 059.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 2 060.jpg
    2 060.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 2 062.jpg
    2 062.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 469
Quick question. My car has been painted were the back glass goes. Do I need to strip this portion of paint so I can apply the pinch weld primer for a good adhesive. Also should I go with the 3m brand primer and butyl tape because I always thought they were superior products and R & E Paint supply sells it all. Your thoughts on this please.

You should be able to take a red scuff pad to the area that you want to apply the pinch weld primer. Make sure that you mask off what you don't want to get scuffed or pinch weld primer on. 3m makes good products as well as some others. Just stick with a good name brand. My 2 cents...
Matt

I dont want to beat this subject to death but would like to get it right the first time. I called the place that is coming out to do the front glass to see if they carried the butyl tape and they said they will not use butyl tape on the back glass if they installed it. Something about codes now a days. They said they urethane them in. They are well experienced in old cars . So do I have them urethane it in or butyl tape it in myself. Your thoughts on this subject. I know why they wont butyl tape it. There afraid it will not seal right and fly out the back when I am going 85 mph. I mean 55 mph down the highway. Your thoughts please. They want $700 to do both glass and that front glass they will supply and the back glass I have. They are coming to my house to do it in a heated garage.

Window popping out !!!

I did plenty of rear windows on 66-72 restos ,ALL with butyl kits and never had a single one pop out. Done Properly, there is no problem & i wouldn`t sweat it! Using urethane would likely work if the glass can be kept @ the exact height to put your moldings on. I guess i`m just old school. Never done an oldie like that but the times they are a changing. Sorry that didn`t help & the debate goes on.

I guess that would be my only concern is that they did get the glass close to the correct height for your mouldings. We restored a 71 chevelle several years back and the owner had the back glass put in with urethane with no real issue. Once in with urethane and dried it don't move.
Urethane is what basically all automotive glass is installed with today due to the safety issue, as the windshield in cars today is part of the structure of the car. With that being said they are still proper procedure to installing one cause you don't want the windshield blowing out when the airbag hits it.
I think done by a properly trained glass tech he should be able to get the glass at the correct height with a correctly sized bead of urethane.
As for the price well I can't tell you as I am not that familiar with front windshield and rubber price. The glass company that we use at work charges about $65.00 to install a glass.I hope this helps you some, but i really think the main key here is to have it done or install it yourself correctly. If done so you will not have any trouble either way.
Matt

The only use for urethane is for cars with air bags, that's why it is used in all newer cars. I personally don't see an advantage using it on an older (pre-air bag) model.

Jason

Back