• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please!! 66 Charger steering bolt issues!!

Father Son 55

Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone we need help!!! On our 66 Charger the bolts that hold the steering box on the K member have been over tightened at some point and the nuts that are welded to the K member have snapped the welds and just spin!! We got one bolt out on the right upper. The lower right one we can get to what appears to be a square nut. The left side single bolt nut appears to be impossible to get to!!! Any ideas? Can I cut an access hole?

Tack them back in place so you can remove the bolts.

Maybe just cut the heads of the bolts off take the gearbox out of the way. Then reweld the nuts in place. Go buy new bolts reinstall the box. Just a thought

Thank you for the answers. But the main issue is the left side one that is completely in closed by the K member. If I cut the head off it will fall inside and no access to it at all! Can I cut an access hole in the K member and weld the hole up?

If the engine is out of the car drop the K out and work on it.
If thats not a option your thought about cutting the k member , welding the inside nuts and closing up your access hole would work if...........
Your a good welder , your k member is sound. ( that possibly is were the problem started k member may be rusted inside to the point of the nuts coming loose)
Ethire way your going to find out. It has to be fixed.
Open it up and find out, worse case is you have to find another K member.

Auto Transport Service
Back