• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help...Starter keeps running!

STREETREBEL

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
1968 Plymouth GTX.
I hit the start button and then let off, but the starter keeps running.
I use a push button start. Replaced the button.
Used a test light on the starter relay. Checked good. Replaced the relay anyway.
Bought a new starter last summer. No problems with it.
Car has been sitting in my garage all winter.
Could it be the starter solenoid hanging up ( BAD )?

Solenoid is not returning make sure its not hanging up on the flywheel

Had a starter short out at the starter once.....factory type starter.

I disconnected the igniter wire, but nothing happened.
Then I insulated the igniter wire from the big power wire on the started, but no change. The starter keeps running.

Also, if I just bump the starter, the starter will release with the button. But if I hold the start button down, like you would to start the engine, the starter keeps running.

is your starter button shorting out, keeping the solenoid engaged

The Bendix is getting stuck in the outward position.
When you turn the key the starter relay energizes the Bendix, which is a spiral cut shaft which rotates and drives the starter gear outward towards the flywheel.
When the Bendix is fully extended it makes contact between the heavy battery cable and the starter motor.
The motor then energizes and turns the gear under load.
If the Bendix sticks in the outward position it does not matter what happens with the ignition switch and starter relay.
The motor just runs off the battery.
Make sense?
It may just need to be cleaned and lubricated, sometimes they get excessive wear.
My uncle was a master at rebuilding starters, alternators and magnetos.

If starter doesn't disengage from flywheel could the mesh of gears be to tight.

Thanks for the reply's.
I put a new starter button on it, no change.
I've used a test light on everything, test ok.
It must be in the starter itself. The starter is less than a year old, so I guess I'll get a new one. Just hate changing starters on these cars.

Before you buy a new one remove the wire from the solenoid and use a remote start switch and see if it does the same thing if it works correctly then start back tracking the wires tto the starter relay and then to the switch. Did you check your grounds. Just my two cents

Thanks for the help.
I have replaced the relay and the start switch.
And checked/added another ground to try to correct
this. Also checked with my test light. I've kinda run out
of options!

Well of you pull the starter get jumper cables hook up to battery and to the starter. Use a screw driver and cross your hot cable to solenoid and the starter will engage pull screw driver off and see if it keeps spinning if it does starter bad. Also look at the gear on the starter see what condition it is in. The gear should be clean and have zero nicks or anything wrong also just to br safe check out you flywheel to make sure all is ok inside.

It is in the bendix somewhere. Try loosening up the starter bolts a bit just and try it to see if it might be binding. If it still stays running, the bendix is junk.

Sorry for your troubles but now you know.

How close is the starter to the headers and what gauge wire is it to the solenoid. Can youu heat shield it anyway so it doesnt suck up the heat from the headers

If the starter motor is still getting power after you release the button, the contacts are sticking somewhere, either in the button, the relay or in the solenoid itself. Sounds like contacts are heating up, arcing and sticking. Testing the small wire to the starter from the relay after the button is released with the starter motor still turning will point to either.

If the starter disengages when you remove the solenoid wire at the starter , I suspect that the sol. wire is being fed off the altenator some how . you've replaced the button , the relay , so it has to be starter bad , being jammed somehow or the sol is being fed through another source .

Auto Transport Service
Back