• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help value a Roadrunner clone

Mr. B5

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
Originally a 1971 Satellite Sebring no rust car. Has turned into a Sassy Grass Green 440+6 4 speed car with front winglets, rear spoiler, window slats, repro air grabber hood, rimblow wheel, buckets/console, vintage a/c, tilt wheel, cruise control. Has a/c vents in dash so may have been a factory a/c car when new. Totally stripped and repainted and an exact replica to my non-professional eyes. Bottom fully detailed. Looks near perfect. Motor is a date coded 1969. Carb setup is brand new.
What do you think would be a fair price to pay?

side.jpg air grabber hood.jpg motor.jpg orig. satellite.jpg undercarriage_3.jpg

I'm gonna say 18 to 22k

Not sure if this picture was meant to go with the series, but I love the color.

orig-satellite-jpg.375358

It's well done, is a 440-6/4-spd, and has all the bells and whistles. I would say $20-25k.

Strato-vent ventilation system had the vents in dash just like a/c cars so maybe not an a/c car . Sorry, looked closer at pics and it is an a/c car but you can't always tell by dash vents alone.

Couldn
It's well done, is a 440-6/4-spd, and has all the bells and whistles. I would say $20-25k.
Could not build it for twice that. Drive and make offer. Beautiful car.

The pic of the brown Satellite is the "before" it was turned into SGG.
Problem is seller is asking $46,500 which I wouldn't even consider paying.
It took a lot of $$$ to make up this beauty, but in the end, it's still a Satty.
Basically, you guys are placing its value at about half of what seller is asking.
Seller told me he has an offer for $40k, but who knows?
So I'm thinking of buying something else, but I must sell this first. But the more I look at the Duster, the more I want to just keep it. I just really wanted another big block. I put the Duster on ebay just to see how it goes.

duster340_2.jpg duster340.jpg duster340_4.jpg duster340_motor.jpg

Last edited:
He should have bought a Roadrunner shell for the numbers. I looked all over my Roadrunner for stamped numbers. There is only one set that is on the front of the cowl. It is easily remove with a couple of spot welds. One other thing I saw different between my Roadrunner and my Satellite is the Road runner has a 6 headliner bow roof the Satellite has a 4 bow. Other than that there is no difference. They both can get changed very easy. Many Challenger numbers are being put on the new replacement bodies and rebuilt by the Data plate info. Are they Clones???

I believe Not . It is just like replacing all the sheet metal at once on your rusted out never be perfect numbers car. If I would find a rust free body I would not think twice of using it. And who would know but me?

In the past I had a post and mentioned about a car that came into the body shop where I worked in the 70's. They repaired mopar dealers cars. An R/T came in hit hard in the back. We cut it at the a pillars and across the floor behind the cross member and clipped the car. I still see that car at Carlisle in the show field. We also did a convertible GTX

So how many out there are really what they seem to be anyway??

He should have bought a Roadrunner shell for the numbers. I looked all over my Roadrunner for stamped numbers. There is only one set that is on the front of the cowl. It is easily remove with a couple of spot welds. One other thing I saw different between my Roadrunner and my Satellite is the Road runner has a 6 headliner bow roof the Satellite has a 4 bow. Other than that there is no difference. They both can get changed very easy. Many Challenger numbers are being put on the new replacement bodies and rebuilt by the Data plate info. Are they Clones???

I believe Not . It is just like replacing all the sheet metal at once on your rusted out never be perfect numbers car. If I would find a rust free body I would not think twice of using it. And who would know but me?

In the past I had a post and mentioned about a car that came into the body shop where I worked in the 70's. They repaired mopar dealers cars. An R/T came in hit hard in the back. We cut it at the a pillars and across the floor behind the cross member and clipped the car. I still see that car at Carlisle in the show field. We also did a convertible GTX

So how many out there are really what they seem to be anyway??

The non-HP cars are what they seem. Who would fake a Satellite or Coronet?

I agree with most here its not a RR its a satty if he got an offer for 40 he should take it to me the highest price would be 30

There's a few things to consider. Clones are usually always built to the desires of the builder and not the buying public. Things like color, interior, powertrain, etc, are done to meet the needs of the builder, and only the buyer. I've seen lots of guys dropping $$$$$ into cars to make them their dream car, then get upset when a buyer without that same dream only wants to pay $$. That's the risk when you modify your vehicle.

I also never take into account how much it costs to make a car myself. I know what it costs, and to it is irrelevant as all I'm concerned is what I can buy the car for. There is no such thing as "fair value" when I am buying. There is only absolute value, which is what the seller can be convinced to sell for. Am I screwing the seller? You betcha, but that's the nature of buying and selling. I think if anyone expects to get more than 50% back on their investment in building a clone they are nuts. If you spend $30k, you should expect to get $15k, and if you get more you may consider yourself blessed.

Lastly, we all get lots of offers for our cars, but what usually happens is when you say "Okay it's a deal" the offer maker either disappears or suddenly has health issues, wife issues, job issues, dog issues, or some other issues that makes that offer null and void. Someone says they were offered $40k, I would ask "Did you see the money?" When they say "No" I say "Then the guy wasn't making a serious offer."

I agree with most here its not a RR its a satty if he got an offer for 40 he should take it to me the highest price would be 30

i can't even get close to 25k myself..
why?
because at that number, i'm out looking for a real one!
no matter what that car has had done to it,
at the end of the day you still have a 71 318 satellite

Keep your duster.

The seller has:

"Cloneitis" - condition that afflicts one when selling a phony car they put way too much money in and have zero chance of getting back.

Peronally I don't care what the numbers say, I care what parts the car has now. But just about everyone else does, so your resale is certainly affected. To me, If I wanted a RR I would rather buy a clone and save the money, but this seller is asking top dollar.

I am possibly biased since I am finally working again on fixing up my 72 satellite I have had for 15 years which was originally a 318 car but now has a 383. I am not cloning a RR, just finally making it a nice driver because I love Satty's. The Satellite name and badging appeals to me more than Roadrunner anyways. It taps into the space age vibe that was going on at the time with the space race and all, not a cartoon bird :) But I do like from the RR/GTX all the extra spoilers, black grill, etc, so I will include some of those touches as well. If I could clone a GTX, hmm...

Anyways, I love that sassy grass car, but too much $$$$$ in my opinion because of resale value if you decide to sell.

Thats a beautiful car and looks just like one I saw at the Daytona Rod Run about 4 or 5 years ago. I even have pictures of it somewhere. My two cents....if you love the car, pay whatever you want. If it is a beautifully done car I think it will sell north of $30k. I sold a similar 440-6 '71 Cuda tribute last year for $49k, and most people wouldnt have looked twice at it for that price, but...someone did. Real 440-6 cudas were worth 3 times that at the time, and Im guessing real 71 440-6 Runners in beautiful condition are worth close to $100k, so thats why I think it will fetch at least $30k. Maybe more. Only needs one person to fall in love with it. And that person probably wont care what anyone else thinks its worth. I know, Ive been there, done that.

My customer had a real 71 V code RR and it only brought 43k last year. GY3 auto car. Was pretty nice but maybe not quite as nice as this green one but was a real V code.
I think 25k is a realistic number on that Satellite. Despite all the money they put in to it at the end it's still just a Satellite.
He also had a real 71 Cuda V code 4-spd that brought 100k.

Some V codes are worth more than others, depending on its options. This particular clone is obviously a tribute to a very high end car, with all the bells and whistles people are looking for, and high impact color. If it is a true tribute like mine was, and done well, it could command a lot more money than your average clone. I doubt if the guy has a "real" $40k offer though.

Auto Transport Service
Back