• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with edelbrock AVS2 model 1906

Dennis Weden

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
I put on one of these two years ago and am having trouble with it. First you can turn the idle mixture screw in and out with no chance. Second, when the car gets hot it will die every time I come to a stop sign. this did not happen the first two years. Now It has started to happened. I have been on the phone with Edelbrock twice and no help. One guy talked about an insulator and gave me wrong part number. Now I have been on phone for 1 1/2 hours with no help. Can't deal with this as it is the time to run by 67 rt convertible. Help Help. It has a straight mechanical advance and I am not sure on timing. please guys I need your wisdom. choke is open while hot

If it was setup and running right when it was installed, it is entirely possible that you have gas varnish in the ports behind the air fuel mix screws. It has happened to me when I don't start the car often enough. If you look into the airhorn you can see the tiny holes that the screws fit into

The fix...while running (or not running, but it will be hard to tell if you cleared anything out), if you can pull the screw without the engine idle being effected, hit the port with carb cleaner. Or pull screw and hit it with compressed air. Once it unclog you will know as the engine peps up quite a bit.

The only other time I've seen the mix screws not do anything is if the throttle plates are open too much at idle.

What he said ^ sounds like a good douching with carb clean is in order. They are not that hard to pull apart and really get it cleaned.

If it was setup and running right when it was installed, it is entirely possible that you have gas varnish in the ports behind the air fuel mix screws. It has happened to me when I don't start the car often enough. If you look into the airhorn you can see the tiny holes that the screws fit into

The fix...while running (or not running, but it will be hard to tell if you cleared anything out), if you can pull the screw without the engine idle being effected, hit the port with carb cleaner. Or pull screw and hit it with compressed air. Once it unclog you will know as the engine peps up quite a bit.

The only other time I've seen the mix screws not do anything is if the throttle plates are open too much at idle.
Or when there’s a huge vacuum leak which is essentially doing the same thing....

Back to basics. N/seats in the carb may not be sealing, due to debris in the fuel. Do you have a fuel filter?

There could be many problems that can cause your problem. You need to remove the carb & remove the airhorn. Unlike brand H garbage [ & clones ], you will not need gaskets if you are careful. Take pics/drawings of linkages etc before disassembly. These are easy carbs to work on. Shake floats to make sure they have not leaked & got fuel inside. Set/check float level to 7/16". Blow out passages.
Other things to check:
- how much transfer slot is showing below the pri throttle blades at idle. [ 0.020-0.040" is ideal ]
- after checking float level, invert the airhorn & suck on the fuel inlet [ before you have your coffee....]. If you can suck air, you have leakage past the n/seats which needs to be fixed[ clean or replace ].

Report back after doing this.

Auto Transport Service
Back