• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Brake Booster Adjustment

69 hemibee

Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score
From my measurements, it seems my brake booster rod is too long even after adjusting the acorn but all the way in. Just got my MC back from restoration so that's good and the brake bolster was a rebuilt original as well.

The first pic is the depth of MC and the second pic is the brake booster and you can see I'm still a good 1/4" too long.

Can you adjust the rod behind just the but? If not any thoughts as to why it's this long?

20220717_131748.jpg

20220717_131656.jpg

The piston is hanging out of the back of the master cylinder. That’s not right. Does the booster push it in flush or does it need the tang and screw to hold it in?

The piston is hanging out of the back of the master cylinder. That’s not right. Does the booster push it in flush or does it need the tang and screw to hold it in?
Yeah, it does hang out a bit but when installed the piston will press in leaving me with roughly 1/8" now. See new pic.

20220717_185224.jpg

Last edited:
R413 is correct. There needs to be something to hold the piston in the correct spot. Some masters have a screw in the bottom to hold the piston in place, and others have a snap ring etc. The piston should not poke out of the master when it is on the bench.

R413 is correct. There needs to be something to hold the piston in the correct spot. Some masters have a screw in the bottom to hold the piston in place, and others have a snap ring, etc. The piston should not poke out of the master when it is on the bench.
Thanks, I called white post restorations as they rebuilt the MC and they said it was supposed to stick out. Some MC have provisions for a snap ring or a bolt to set it in place. He said when installed (looking down) as long as the piston doesn't go past the small holes in the bottom of the reservoir then I'm good.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I should learn to keep my mouth shut, unless I am intimately familiar with something, or I have one in front of me, that I can look at. You can make up a sex joke if you want to.

Auto Transport Service
Back