• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi manifold to exhaust pipe

dart6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
What are others using to seal the pipe to the header. One of mine is leaking

If I applied anything it was probably a thin coat of red, hi-temp RTV. Let cure before starting. I use it instead of gaskets on exhaust manifolds to block on some of my engines - applied sparingly.

If I applied anything it was probably a thin coat of red, hi-temp RTV. Let cure before starting. I use it instead of gaskets on exhaust manifolds to block on some of my engines - applied sparingly.
:thumbsup:

FYI.......RED or high temperature RTV MAY work......but the question is: how hot does the joint get?? High temp RTV has a continuous temperature of:
"Red RTV Silicone is a high temperature, high pressure, low odor, non-corrosive gasket sealant for use in a variety of applications that require no sag or shrinkage at continuous temperatures ranging from -80ºF to 500ºF (600ºF intermittently)"......Just my opinion of course.......
BOB RENTON

I applied red RTV to the exhaust manifold seal surfaces (thinly) in a 427 Corvette I restored in the early 90s. I removed the manifolds about a month ago to give them a fresh coat of paint because a few oil drips had discolored the finish some. After 30 years the RTV looked like it had been applied the day before. It was red, elastic, adhered, and not in the least fried or burnt. I found a non-Permatex, high temp, red, RTV at O’Riley’s with a rating of almost 700 F and went back with it upon reinstalling them.

Auto Transport Service
Back