• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey parts vendors....how about INCLUDING A DECENT SET OF INSTRUCTIONS in with the parts you're selling?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
What the hell has happened to these companies? How much money are they saving by not including a good set of instructions in the package?
Here's the problem:
A man goes to install an ice maker in his fridge.
A man goes to install a garage door opener.
A man goes to install a porch light.
A man goes to install a new brake booster.
Every one of those guys gets the parts he needs, then gets home and opens the box to find either:
Meager instructions.
NO instructions other than to go to the manufacturers website to download instructions.
That is it.
This is bullshit. Not everyone has installed those parts numerous times where they are completely familiar with it all and need no help. SOME people are doing it for the first time and need direction.
This has happened twice to me in one week.
First, I bought a vacuum booster, linkage and reinforcement plate for a 66-70 B body Mopar. I have never installed this specific kit before. ZERO instructions were in the box.
During the installation, I encountered a few issues that would have been a LOT easier IF the vendor would have included a few pages of instructions.
Today I was going through the incomplete instructions for a Vintage Air kit for another 66-70 B body. This time there were instructions but they are horrible. They include NO clear measurements on where to drill holes in the firewall to mount the evaporator/fan unit. The aftermarket kit uses a non stock unit with mounting holes in different locations. Do these idiots think their customers are mind readers?
Sure...a decent tech can muddle through and figure it out but why make things difficult for your customers?
I installed a Classic Auto Air kit in my Charger in 2019 and those instructions, while not perfect, were much better than the ones included in the Vintage Air kit.
This is shitty business practice. These pricks need to be told that it will not be tolerated.
I'm not a fan of the brush off that some companies do....go to our website and download the instructions....
Here is a better idea. YOU download them and put them in the box with the parts.
You know, like decent companies used to do.

The 5 speed Tremec swap kit from Silver Sport Overdrives came with excellent instructions. I wanted it to be known that some companies are better than others at this.

Hey...I don't need help when I'm changing a tie rod or a wheel bearing. I don't need instructions when I buy new tires.
The booster though? Why nothing at all? The A/C....THIS isn't a factory setup where I can dig out a service manual for help. These kits have completely NON stock parts. The Vintage kit uses a thicker evap core that requires you to throw away the stock glovebox and use their replacement that is 3" shallower. This requires moving the fuse panel. There was no mention of this....I guess these dorks just think people will figure it out on their own.
Oddly, when I buy a power tool like what Milwaukee is selling, they include multilingual instructions, safety guidelines, contact information and sometimes even a warrantee card to fill out and mail in.

More complex items often come with the suggestion that the product should be installed by a professional...

More complex items often come with the suggestion that the product should be installed by a professional...
I'm not directing this at you......That is a BS cop-out. I'm talking about regular stuff many homeowners need to replace along with car parts.
More complex stuff like cam and lifter kits have explicit instructions. TTI includes excellent guidelines for fitment and specific little things to make their headers fit better.

I want to add Dakota Digital to the list of great companies that include proper instructions. Theirs were excellent. I had NO need to contact them for any additional help.

Last edited:
I agree. I don’t know how I built my Charger back in the 80’s as it was a basket case. Lots of phone calls… and purchase of many books. The internet and videos make things so much easier.

f97736caffaf9338e1deeb9ebe8c84b6.gif

:poke:

:lol:

no bullshit......... I pulled this out of a hide away headlight kit for a 68 camaro; I printed it out and started a similar thread here, probably 5 or 6 years ago

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/n248/eldubb440/IMG_20170419_125502_zpskpehmqnv.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
IMG_20170419_125502_zpskpehmqnv.jpg
[/URL]

One of my favorites is Samsung ect. phones.
They are sold to folks in their 60s/70s with a tiny pamphlet in 6 languges.
It tells you to go to their web sight for instructions on how to operate the phone.

I can't read Chinese so instructions on this junk that breaks wouldn't help anyway.

I bought a pair of scissors a year or so back, similar to the picture below, and I needed a pair of scissors to open the packet. :mob:

1693084066487.png

What the hell has happened to these companies? How much money are they saving by not including a good set of instructions in the package?
Here's the problem:
Every one of those guys gets the parts he needs, then gets home and opens the box to find either:
Meager instructions.
NO instructions other than to go to the manufacturers website to download instructions.
That is it.
This is bullshit. Not everyone has installed those parts numerous times where they are completely familiar with it all and need no help. SOME people are doing it for the first time and need direction.
First, I bought a vacuum booster, linkage and reinforcement plate for a 66-70 B body Mopar. I have never installed this specific kit before. ZERO instructions were in the box.
During the installation, I encountered a few issues that would have been a LOT easier IF the vendor would have included a few pages of instructions.
Today I was going through the incomplete instructions for a Vintage Air kit for another 66-70 B body. This time there were instructions but they are horrible. They include NO clear measurements on where to drill holes in the firewall to mount the evaporator/fan unit. The aftermarket kit uses a non stock unit with mounting holes in different locations. Do these idiots think their customers are mind readers?
Sure...a decent tech can muddle through and figure it out but why make things difficult for your customers?
I installed a Classic Auto Air kit in my Charger in 2019 and those instructions, while not perfect, were much better than the ones included in the Vintage Air kit.
This is shitty business practice. These pricks need to be told that it will not be tolerated.
I'm not a fan of the brush off that some companies do....go to our website and download the instructions....
Here is a better idea. YOU download them and put them in the box with the parts.
aaK6x0iW.gif

Here's the problem:
Meager instructions.
That is it.
I'm on your side on this one. All vendors who browse this web site should take note. I'm hoping Firm Feel reads this.

I try to be a reasonable customer and temper my expectations. I doubt that many of us needs instructions with their spark plugs.
Over the years, I have… like many of you, made non stock changes to my cars. When you deviate from stock, sometimes the replacement part differs a bit and installation process isn’t the same.
I give kudos to the good companies but have held back from criticizing the ones that could have done better.
Not anymore.
Dr Diff and BAC sell great stuff but they both are lacking in providing instructions in with their products.
Dr Diff used to be reachable by phone but that isn’t the case anymore. He does respond to emails but nothing is as immediate as having the instructions in your hand.
Peter with BAC at least has instructions on file and on request but I want them in the box. From what I’ve heard, he does step up to help upon request. That is good.
FBBO member CRACKEDBACK includes excellent diagrams and instructions with his relay kits. He is the example that others should strive to match.
PST sells great products but their parts are not so complicated that they need pictures to help.
QA 1 had a tech sheet included with a sway bar.
After seeing what widespread boycotts can do to the quarterly profits, you’d think that customer service might factor into their future plans.
Maybe many of these companies are unaware of this problem.
From now on when I order something, I’m going to let my opinion be known. If others join in, we might be able to change this.

Excellent idea...

I rarely need them, but it's nice to have them for reference sake

if nothing else for someone like the next owner,
that will get all the paperwork for the car
that didn't install them or take it apart, or know whos part it is...

Right there with you KD.
There were literally hundreds of parts
on this chassis build that could have
used a clear set of instructions for
installation.
I probably spent as much time on the
phone as I did installing them.
The single most time consuming
item was the single wire alternator.
Their diagram was incorrect and we
went round and round. Finally figured
it out on my own.