• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone install Vintage Air in a 1967 Coronet?

Okay guys (and @Kern Dog vintage air expert) here is where I'm at on this project.

Friend's brother who retired after 31 years as a Ford master mechanic came over to vacuum and charge. We watched the gauge at 28 inches of vacuum for a little over a half hour and he called it good. Using a scale he charged 1.81 pounds precisely. He sort of measured the high and low lines temperature and said all good. I didn't have the ducts hooked up, but he felt the evaporator expansion and said it was really good and cold. I paid him for his time and reassembled the car and connected the ducts.

The glove box liner instructions is a joke and without some Dremel fitting it could never have worked. Doesn't anyone at vintage air try to install this stuff?

So test drive time. Really mild weather here in Tucson and it's actually in the mid 70s, but I rolled up all windows and placed the AC on mid fan speed dash vents.

It's not really cold.

Back home I take a temp gun and measure the dash vents.
Temp lever at far left: 54 degrees
Temp lever at far right: 94 degrees

I call the guy who charged it this morning. He says grab the copper tube on the heater box and see if it's cold. It's so cold I can't keep touching it. He says "well that's a blend door issue call vintage air".

I sent a email to vintage air with a video of the compressor cycling. Not sure if there's anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks for any help.

Video link below

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AksXImgz5jdygqku0VUFnHaSaNI9tg

I'd love to give you sound advice but I am FAR from an expert. I've installed ONE Vintage Air system and ONE Classic Auto Air setup.

I'd love to give you sound advice but I am FAR from an expert. I've installed ONE Vintage Air system and ONE Classic Auto Air setup.
I consider you an expert and I would appreciate any advice from you.

Randy had to come to my rescue when I got in a spot. He owns the green challenger next to my Charger...

SF 24 83.JPG

My own system felt fine in cool weather but the real test was how cold the A/C was blowing when the ambient air got hot.
On the way south from Sacramento to Modesto last Thursday, my A/C blew warm. I charged it a month ago but the weather was in the 60s and it was hard to know if it was blowing cold. You see, the unit needs a temperature differential to be able to work. The refrigerant enters the evaporator and passes through an expansion valve where it rapidly cools down. In my car, Randy first suspected a bad heater control valve. After the trip to the car show and all of that, I stopped at his shop on the way home. He hooked up the gauges and found that my "low side" was lower than it should be so he thought that maybe my expansion valve was blocked. These things are not what I would have thought of to check. Experience with these systems helps a person develop diagnostic skills. I would like to know more on how to determine the reasons for why these systems don't perform right but as it is now, I'd just be guessing. You could clamp off the flow to the heater control valve and see if the air starts to blow colder. That would tell you that the valve may be stuck open, even partially. After that, my skills drop off.
What I do know is the basic function of the system. I figured ways to route wires, lines and hoses to where they look and function well. As far as diagnosing and repairing defective components, that I'd need to learn over time.

Auto Transport Service
Back