• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hi im new here

MOPAR MARTY

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
i was looking for help with my 72,440 . i found the sight by accident , so i thought i would try posting here .
i have a 1972 440 it was ordered with the a-35 heavy tow , afer rebuiling the bmotor after it tossed the timing chain & bending all but 3 valves i put it to 71 specs . after fghting the holle for 2 yrs i tossed it & put a rebuilt cater avs 4166 avs. it runs fuine but when i floor it . falls on its face . a long time friend & victory nss racer told me the carb more in likly had the wrong metering rod springs . i have another parts carb that was on a new yorker with a 9-1 440 in it (with the 90 cc heads i should have a 9-1 440). anyway clay said i more in kelyhave the wrong step up sprngs /metering rod springs , he said i should try the yellow ones . i have no idea how to tune it spring wize . i know from reading the springs go by vacuum . what vacuum do i test? off the carb or the mptor then dose anyone here have some tey can sell me or tell h\me how to do this . i know this is a b body group . i have a big boat / tank . the c body guys r all holley nuts but me & holleys dodn't getalong ,thats y i sold it back to the rebuilder as a core . if u guys r not putrest on bodies style i will post pics of my 72 survivor jean , shes 228"lx79.4"w & weights 5290 with me in the car on a dot scale . any help u guys can give me would help. my plans r npw to swap the air horn , step up springs , metering rods & jets from yhe 71 parts carb of the same #. the guy i got the rebuild from said the 600 cfm carb would flow 750. i think thats what he did , he had the jets swapped back to front (it ran like a bat out of hell & drank gas like mad ) we put them back the way tey should be,\. i thought that maybe the air horm seconary air valve was out of adjustment . thats y we was going to swap the top pof the carbs . buit atell me if im on nthe right track. i dont do carbs but my cousin dos when he ha time . right noew he is working in his 73 sebring + ac getting a good rv2 compressor. i may get mines wot\rled on asfter his is done unles the show car needs something done to it
moaer marty

Hi MOPAR MARTY, :welcome:
Definitely put up a picture of your '72, we like all sorts, especially 440 powered. :) I hope you get your carb issues sorted...

Whelcoume too th syte. Wach outh foyr ar gwammer dawg, Kern. Hee wyl byte you.

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten.

Welcome from Ballwin Missouri!! OK, lets see this time machine first and then we'll talk.

Welcome from Michigan, the Motor City! 440'

Here is a youtube video on tuning an Edelbrock/Carter style carb.

Here is a rebuild video.

Hello, Mopar Marty, sorry to hear about your carb issues.
Just because I am curious, what model car are you working on?

Welcome aboard from NJ. In the past, I always preferred Carters to Hollies! My brother hated Hollies! He went through a pile of them on his 340 and finally switched to a Carter AVS. Result: His problems went away. Because of that I changed out the Holly on my 383 to a well used Carter AVS I got off an engine at the junk yard that was sitting outside on the ground, unprotected from the elements. The outside was somewhat pitted and such but I bolted it on and presto, much better performance and reliability. I will say that the Holley 750 dual feed I have now on my 440 has never given me any trouble; I have had it over 10 years! I also ditched the troublesome 1 barrel Hollies I had on several slant 6 engines, way back then, to used Carter B&B carbs; again never had any issues from then on. May your troubles soon be rectified!

Welcome to FBBO from Vermont! Post up pics of the car and the carb(s) parts etc....lots of guys here who know their stuff about carbs. Your in the right place.

Welcome to the site!! You might post your question in the correct forum so that you'll get more replies related to the problem.....

Auto Transport Service
Back