• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HID headlight rehash

That's funny , don't forget about the cb antenna with the led light on it.

I got tired of running in the dark with those hids that god had driving lights under the bumper that i could flip down and keep driving. Good luck with the relay later on. Just a note when setting up the relay don't forget about the one way diode so you don't get feed back when on low beams sometimes high beams has a low current that will make come on dim. Just a thought

Thanks for the heads up on the diode. I need to spend sometime on working out the wiring for this. I've had some thoughts but just not trashed them all out yet.

Yep doing the same thing with my whole car. I do I'm now i am leaning to keeping things simple and clean. Question is your hi low switch on the floor or turn signal.

Ive got the floor mounted hi/lo switch, seems to function fine, but it is one thing that I didn't replace in the resto. Wasn't any need that I could see at the time.

Years back I ran Hella H4 headlights in my 76 Camaro. 7 inch singles on each side. No wiring upgrades or changes. I ran the included 55/60 bulbs at first then a pair of 80/100 bulbs. They worked great and provided over double the output of the stock sealed beams. I think that I will do that with the Charger. All this chatter about relays, ballasts, additional wiring and failures has me thinking simpler is better yet again.

Thinking out loud that the surge when switching back and forth could cause the early retirement on the bulbs. But running hi low thru a relay from the dimmer switch is smart idea. Let me know how it works out thanks in advance.

That's funny, don't forget the cb antenna with the light on top.

:confederateflag:

gonna roll confed flag through East Los Angeles even though this part of the world lost other wars. not sure anyone even knows about the Civil War on the Leff Coast anyhow.

Looks good on a Hemi Orange ‘69 Charger’s roof. Or was that 440

watermelon

Last edited:
Mopar 68-70 Headlights Relay Schematic to help brighten headlights (1) RR forum.gif

IIRC here's the schematic Propwash/Will did
on his 4 5.5" HID 69 RR Black Beast & it worked great

Mopar 68-69 RR HID headlight harness Schematic Prop FBBO.jpg

Thanks Bud! I ah going to compare the 3rd schematic with what I have now and see what is different, I know already the diode is not in my wire harness. I actually have a second harness they sent me when I complained to them, we shall see.

those schematics are gold. thanks for posting. i couldn’t view them on the propwash thread.

watermelon

diode purpose?

in that last schematic, i see it noted that “all lights on when high beam selected”

is that schematic setup supposed to run all four lights on low beam and then all four lights on high beam? is that what the diode is doing?

thats what i would like to accomplish on my 66 Coronet

watermelon

Nice upgrade, wish there was a simpler replacement that didn't cost $300-$400 / each to provide quality light output.

On the other hand, you can purchase (2) 6" LED light bars on Amazon for $15 and mount them directly next to the factory turn signals on a Road Runner:popcorn2:

Nice upgrade, wish there was a simpler replacement that didn't cost $300-$400

i hear ya. i think this was a good compromise between super low cost ebay stuff and $400/light JW Speaker LEDs.

Did you use one of the above schematics?? If not, post what you did. Also, where would one even find these transformers/relays/ballast to build this set up from scratch??

all this may not be applicable to your existing setup - my disclaimer :D

so i didnt end up using any schematics above. this Morimoto HID kit from TheRetrofitSource.com was a completely engineered kit that didnt take any engineering from my side; kit just clicks together and you supply positive n negative connections.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/media/custom/upload/EliteHIDSystem-BiXenon.pdf

the only thing i needed to do was make connection point at original outermost headlight for each side; the kit connects at that point. i measured what the output was at each slot during off/low beam mode/high beam mode just to get an idea of what was happening.

this kit does not need original inner most plug so ill have to close it up.

the pic with all the components is for driver side. an identical setup is used on passenger side. so, 2 Morimoto kits are needed. just a few black boxes n one gold relay box to mount on each side of engine bay. ill also need to make use of some existing holes in rad support area to feed a few connections through.

schematics also attached show how to setup. again, the “from OEM” in schematic is original bulb plug.

oops...Hella H4 glass lamps not included. see link in previous posts

watermelon

825EE139-F00E-4518-BB10-72D826473181.jpeg 17AA81C9-44F3-4A47-9A5D-FFC7CC0AA609.jpeg D1099FBA-F2C5-4BC8-99E2-884E32F11036.jpeg FFF0CA23-C744-4E19-9A68-97AD113C1AA7.jpeg

Last edited:
so its all wired up

i initially thought that the ballast boxes were going to be mounted in the engine bay but wiring harness lengths dictated they be closer to the lamps; that turned out to be a good thing.

to my surprise i was able to fit boxes behind the lamps. it was tight in some spots but it kept the bay clutter free. only needed to mount relay boxes on either side of radiator; i guess they could have been tucked away a little better but i thought they looked cool.

whats nice about this Morimoto is that all connections are weather proof click style; no need to worry about water. hound approved.

random pics attached

watermelon

5EB086C0-67D6-4F68-8E79-F005CEE5ABAA.jpeg AFCF538E-1E9A-42E8-AE2F-B39A1DB9F176.jpeg CBF20CD5-1D17-441D-881C-07152FC33BC1.jpeg 7579F878-C7DF-4F44-8559-582E5CA4D1E0.jpeg 3820B1DF-BD69-4808-8AD8-655E31610A37.jpeg F03D9C29-1847-4907-8B7B-70C0A36664A8.jpeg F34E76B3-B19C-43A9-964E-7D2386A6441A.jpeg 08F1E5D1-F304-42AC-BEAF-CF1A32466AC4.jpeg

Awesome Brother! Which one of the Morimoto kits did you get?? They have several numbers and nomenclature on their web page which makes it difficult for me to determine which one I need. I have the hella lens and even the HID projectors so all I need are the harnesses with ballasts. I have emailed Morimoto direct with this and no answer. I called the Retrofit store...no direct answer. ???????

Auto Transport Service
Back