• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden Mysterious Find

slepr1

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
What started off to be a fairly straightforward oil pan gasket change on my 440 ended up to be nothing but.

After removing the pan and windage tray, I noticed orange silicone looking deposit stuck on the screen on the oil pick up. I unscrewed the oil pick up unit and while cleaning off the silicone something started rattling inside the pick up head assembly. I ended up rattling out two pieces of broken up aluminum!!:icon_question:

After thoroughly checking the bottom end components, piston skirts, we didn't see any evidence of any damage. The cross-hatch on all cylinder walls were perfect. The engine only has 1000km or so on it, runs good, no smoke out the rear, no evidence of any issues. A leak down test will be done to check the rings.

My only thought on why these pieces where there is someone who rebuilt this engine before used a used oil pick up from another busted engine. How else could this be explained? Any ideas?

IMG_20150313_130303.jpgIMG_20150313_140119.jpgIMG_20150313_140144.jpgIMG_20150313_140219.jpg

Hows your oil pump drive gear look?

The metal pieces were on the oil pan side of the pick up screen. If the something in the oil pump broke I would think it would have to travel through the engine to get to the oil pan.

under your distributor the gear that runs your oil pump

Yes sorry, I was mistaken in my answer.

The actual pieces that I found are much larger than anything on the gear and are aluminum. I'm assuming the gear is steel. I should have put a tape measure beside the pieces when taking the picture.

I'd probably say left over from another time ,especial since its running perfect clean it up and put it back together if something that size is broke off somewhere you would know it

Or off the top of a piston. Almost looks like a chunk, from top to first ring groove.

That would be from detonation, or possible valve contact.

If its running tip top i would think its leftover from a previous failure. I would replace the pickup and clean the pan and roll with it.

That's the plan. Replace the pick up, clean everything up and go with it. I'll do a compression test when its all back together.

I have had a few oil pick up screen assy with metal/stuff trapped in there. Thank MOPAR for putting that cow catcher screen in there! Saves many an oil pump. The silicone probably washed down from above after assembly, and eventually got caught in the screen. These oil systems are well designed for the day, just keep a fresh filter and clean oil in there. I always change mine just as it starts to get black.

- - - Updated - - -

Keeping clean oil and filter in your engine at all times, is one of the best ways to extend life as well as performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back