• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High build primer, what's your preference today...

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
Guys, I've done about a half dozen cars now and since Im self taught I consider myself a novice at best. I've worked from advice from others and have made improvements in my efforts. I have used this Mar Hide K 2 primer for my last two projects and have learned to work with it. But, new formulas are always being introduced and was wondering those that have used this if there in something better. My process usually includes three applications of this stuff, block sanding between coats. Since Im usually sanded out, my final sanding is with 400. Since that is pretty rough, I've learned a sealer helps much before top coating. Just wondering if it's time to try something different. Thanks

IMG_0461.jpg

I've always used what I'm familiar with and comfortable with. If you've gotten good results with what you've had, no reason I see to change. I've used either Dupont of PPG products. new formulas = new $$$

I used SlickSand when I painted my Cobra body about 10 years ago. It was the hot thing then for the Cobra guys and some Corvette guys. Not sure if that’s still the case. It’s definitely high build - kind of like spray, polyester filler.

Thanks. I have moved to a new very small town and slowly been meeting car guys and meeting new folks. A local here who paints much more than me suggested I try this brand Kapci, said he really likes the stuff. Prolly the heaviest gallon I have ever picked up so I know some thick stuff for sure. Noticed it was made in Egypt , I can't remember ever buying anything made in Egypt, but I do know those folks know about preserving things for the long term. Anybody used it.

IMG_0462.jpg

Thanks. I have moved to a new very small town and slowly been meeting car guys and meeting new folks. A local here who paints much more than me suggested I try this brand Kapci, said he really likes the stuff. Prolly the heaviest gallon I have ever picked up so I know some thick stuff for sure. Noticed it was made in Egypt , I can't remember ever buying anything made in Egypt, but I do know those folks know about preserving things for the long term. Anybody used it.

View attachment 1428981
I like your reasoning - they do know something about preservation. You’re probably going to need a gun with a big tip to spray that stuff. A lot of guys just pick up an inexpensive syphon gun from Harbor Freight with a big tip - that is if you don’t have something suitable already. Good luck.

Just be careful of unknown brands. I'm very wary of using something I'm not familiar with. A friend and I were at the Nats a few years ago, I couldn't tie his shoes when it comes to painting. He bought "cheap" paint from a vendor for a Mopar driver-quality car he was doing at the time. Turned out to be piss-water, hardly any pigment.

Kapci appear to be pretty popular in a good part of the world Including Europe. They are apparently trying to make in-roads into the US market.

I worked some Slicksand a few years ago and was really happy with it. It seems autobody supplies change every 6 months though.

Using a gray high build will take some getting use to. Using the 'vanilla" colored Mar Hyde over the gray epoxy primer always lets me know when I m cutting close to high spots and ridges. Gray on gray will offer no such boundaries.

First impressions of using the Kapci primer is that it is NOT a high build primer like the Mar Hyde. But, it is the easiest sanding primer I have ever used. Started on it with 240 grit and prolly could have started with 280, sands very easy. I looked to purchase more Mar Hyde 2 K and have not found any on line, just some quarts of harder available. My jobber found a can in Phenix Az, so , they must have stopped making it. I still consider myself a rookie at this and working with 50 year old wavy panels, I find the high build primer, with three applications and with each block sanding, gives me my best results. Bought some Nason high build, will try that next.

If you have SlickSand available you might want to try it. I believe it’s really popular with the Cobra crowd because those fiberglass bodies really need a high build primer to get them flat and to contour.

Thanks for the report.
I've been seeing more mention of the Kapci brand in the fakebook groups as well.

"high build" is, to me, a tough term because it is marketing directed, and does not
really tell us about the makeup of the product.

For modern products that are intended to be used as a surfacer, we have Polyester and Urethane.

If the ultimate goal is really "high build", then you really want Polyester surfacer.
Evercoat feather fill/slick sand/optex superbuild
USC Eliminator
Clausen Sandy/all u need/rust defender
*always adhere to the fluid tip recommendations in the TDS

In the Urethane surfacer world there are both standard build and high build products.
The MarHyde was high build urethane. If we want another high build urethane, then we have to very
specifically look for it, and there are tons of different ones out there.
my favorite is SPI standard build urethane, but have had good results with spi high build too, and
have had good experiences with Matrix. On a super tight budget I would not be afraid to try Finish One 2k urethane, and Have seen many good reviews of Upol as well, and would be willing to try it. Whatever isn't available locally I'd just grab it online.

Myself, I would shy away from trying that particular Kapci product because of the first sentence of the
tech sheet: "Kapci 625 is a flattable 2K acrylic filler developed for use........"
This seems to be a friendly way of saying it is a lacquer product at the core, that has been converted to run an activator.
Based on that alone, humbly, it is a concern.
(Personal rule, no more acrylic anything for me. Not since 1992 and I am not going back.)
It could be a perfectly good product but I'm sold on modern materials.

Worth mentioning... there are newer hybrid product$, and some reasonably block sanding-friendly epoxy products that are sometimes used throughout a job. These are generally not designed for very high/thick build compared to a polyester or urethane, but are popular among many high end builders as they feel they get a superior end result.

I used PPG VP2050 on a C2 project as my epoxy/high build/base layer. Worked really well and relative to the product line I didn’t think it was crazy expensive. It was actually the least expensive product I used for that project.

Auto Transport Service
Back