• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Volume Housing - with stock water pump

Swilling

Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys -

Ive been turning a wrench on my 68, 383 and wanted to just get it up and running. Its running good but the radiator was toast, i scored a nice much larger radiator of my buddy for free, it came out of his 440 challenger.

My issue - the radiator outlet on the bottom is now on the driver side. My 383 waterpump housing inlet is on the passenger side. I've obtained a "high volume" cast aluminum pump housing with the inlet now on the drivers side. I'll be throwing it together this weekend but i wanted to see if anyone knew that i could still use my factory pump. Or do i need to change to a matching pump. Obviously the rotation of the pump wouldnt need to change but i was wondering if different impeller or depth was required for this new housing.

Or can i just slap my stock pump on and go for it? Trying to spend as little money on the car as i just want to go out and do some donuts before i tear it down for a complete resto.

Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back