• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Historic vs. vintage vs. standard license plates

What I'm referring to, from what I was told by a few guys at a car show: after a show once, a few guys went to a restaurant afterwards ( Fridays, or Olive Garden, one of those types ). After dinner, they found their classic cars with QQ plates ticketed in the parking lot. Not supposed to be at a "non car-related" venue.
WOW!!!!! What if it was a car club meeting at the venue?!?!?!?! We do tgat once a month.
I would have fought that one.

1665065321833.png

The Historic plate for New Jersey. I like the "QQ", as it looks like eyes looking down and to the right.

For classic cars only, see one of the posts for better details.
Was wondering if it was an acronym that meant something is all. Any idea? Looked back through the thread and couldn't seem to find anything. Unless I overlooked it, again lol. Googled it and didn't find much a of a straight answer on what the "QQ" actually stands for. Not that it's a big deal. I do get the gist of what it applies to.

Was wondering if it was an acronym that meant something is all. Any idea? Looked back through the thread and couldn't seem to find anything. Unless I overlooked it, again lol. Googled it and didn't find much a of a straight answer on what the "QQ" actually stands for. Not that it's a big deal. I do get the gist of what it applies to.
Maybe as it pertains to parking tickets " Quick Quota" ???

I think the "QQ" was a prefix that was not being used for anything else, so it was purposed for the Historic tags.

FL antique tags are IIRC $38.

Everything else is based on weight.

In OK, we can have YOM registration (both my '66 cars have '66 tags), or one can get "Street Rod" which both are annual registration. Both are $21.00 in addition to the regular registration fee, so you're looking at $45/year There is also "Antique" which is a $100 flat fee registration that is valid for 10 years. This is the only one that has limitations on use.

On YOM tags, they are supposed to be original and not restored, but that is generally overlooked. You get a transparent windshield decal for the current year that shows it's good to go and all legal-like. All YOM tags are required to be renewed by December 31st, each year.

MD has "historic" (anything 24+ years), "street rod" (24+, "significantly modified"), "antique" (50+, I believe), and YOM (piggybacks on a historic or a street rod reg for a one-time $10 fee, BYO original tags).

I have historics on my Daytona. No emissions tests, rules are "no daily use", and "not for primary transportation"...and that's it. One working headlight, one working taillight, one rear view mirror are the only requirements.

I have run Street Rods on my wagon, back when it had a 400hp smallbock, reverse-manual 727, and usually had a dial-in on the back window ;) Now, it has an historic registration (with plates in the glovebox), and wears YOM plates. Same for my Charger - historic registration with YOM plates. The way YOM works, just find a set that's the same model year as your car (I got both mine off ebay), take 'em to motor vehicles, they verify they're "real", you do paperwrok assigning them to your vehicle, you get your historic plates and just hang the YOMs on the car.

2 year renewal for historics or street rods are like $52. Not sure on antiques, haven't had to do anything other than historics/street rods because they suit my needs just fine...

Honestly, I never looked too deep into the Street Rod tags and what their guide lines are but i've all over NJ and PA with QQ tags with a open hood, fenderless 31' coupe running baffeled Lime fire headers and i've never even been looked at twice by the police. It's like the one thing that their cool about in NJ. Maybe i've just been lucky?, IDK, but i'll take it.

Same with me. I drove the 70 RR for years in NJ with the QQ plates all over the tri-state area, carlisle PA and all points in between and had no issues. People get down on NJ because of politics or whatever, but for classics it's pretty relaxed. Register once every 3 years with pictures for a very reasonable fee. The police are good with the QQ plates in my experience, they know these cars are driven infrequently. My home state of TX however not so fantastic. Inspect/register like a normal car every year with a 30 day window to renew registration. This year they are making me fight the DMV lines again to renew because I inspected past 30 days, with no option to renew online. By the time I get a free moment with work to go to DMV it will be time to renew again most likely.

Here in The Mitten you can get either YOM plates, or a historical plate, either is $35 for the life of the registration. I use YOM because I like the look. You take a pic of the plate, send it in the the registration form and $35 and you get a registration. The YOM plates have to be in original condition, no repaints. Same rules apply here, only for recreational purposes.

What I'm referring to, from what I was told by a few guys at a car show: after a show once, a few guys went to a restaurant afterwards ( Fridays, or Olive Garden, one of those types ). After dinner, they found their classic cars with QQ plates ticketed in the parking lot. Not supposed to be at a "non car-related" venue.
Wow! So not allowed to stop to EAT on the way to or from an event? Wonder if it also applies to stopping to take a dump somewhere

In NY, the fee for Historic plates is much less than regular registrations, $28.75 yearly. The only qualifier is that the vehicle is not used for daily transportation. I have regular plates on my Coronet, and historic plates on a GTX. I even have historic plates on a 1985 Mack road tractor. Got stopped by a DOT cop with the Mack, because he wanted to talk about my truck!

In NY, the fee for Historic plates is much less than regular registrations, $28.75 yearly. The only qualifier is that the vehicle is not used for daily transportation. I have regular plates on my Coronet, and historic plates on a GTX. I even have historic plates on a 1985 Mack road tractor. Got stopped by a DOT cop with the Mack, because he wanted to talk about my truck!
Looks like I'll be entertaining the historic plates next time around then.

When you register, your insurance card has to have HISTORIC on the card!

When you register, your insurance card has to have HISTORIC on the card!
Ok, that's new to me. Is this something you have to request of the insurance company? I use Hagerty. I've never paid enough attention to see if they noted anything like that in particular.

Auto Transport Service
Back