• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmmm, new thought on EV's

And battery powered locomotives make sense too! Put an extra rail on the ground and energize it to power the loco or put high line wires up.. wait they did that over 100 years ago! Batteries go dead at the wrong time even with regeneration braking it will still need charged..
Electric rail is a great idea for a smaller sized country with a large population. Look at Holland for example. But battery powered locomotives actually have freedom from one of the obstacles on electric road vehicles - they don't need to worry so much about weight. If you need a battery tender with 125 tons of lead acid cells, not a problem. Meanwhile, some efforts have gone into experiments on that matter.
https://www.progressrail.com/en/Segments/RollingStock/Locomotives/FreightLocomotives/EMDJoule.html
https://www.railwayage.com/mechanic...-modern-railway-propulsion/?RAchannel=freight

Emd / progress rail is a Cat company impressive but not the answer. Those batteries are nasty to make and a pain to dispose of ... imo

We ran an electric railroad on our Tumbler line. We had to run through a couple of very long (5 and 3 mile long) tunnels and we didn't think we could purge the diesel fumes out of the tunnels. It was an expensive deal running the catenary system. The line was 82 miles long and it was 50KV as I recall.

We ran an electric railroad on our Tumbler line. We had to run through a couple of very long (5 and 3 mile long) tunnels and we didn't think we could purge the diesel fumes out of the tunnels. It was an expensive deal running the catenary system. The line was 82 miles long and it was 50KV as I recall.
I don't think BCR kept the electrification for more than a dozen years; the price of coal didn't go up as was forecast. They used 6,000 hp. locomotives built by General Motors Canada (EMD). Tumbler Ridge as a town is only forty years old, the electric railroad was a failed experiment.

Here's a video from back in the day...

As much as I hate to admit it EVs are going to happen whether we like it or not. Doesn't mean that fossil fuel is going to go away soon, but it is definitely under attack. That said over time many of the EV complaints (range, time to recharge, etc.) will be addressed with technology. Yes I understand the limitations of lithium ION batteries but at some point someone will developed a different/better power source.

Like all developments in technology EV has a long line of haters presently (me included) but over time this will change and generations down the road (hopefully far down the road) will know little else. I also believe that other technologies will develop and perhaps something different/better than batteries will come along.

I also think that eventually someone will understand that the thought of having to get a completely new car (EV) is not appealing to so many and they will develop some method to "upgrade" existing vehicles (think hybrid) that would allow the owner to keep the gas/diesel vehicle but dramatically increase efficiency while decreasing emissions.

Its a brave new world whether we like it or not, always has been. This reminds of the original arguments that came up when gasoline powered vehicles first became a "thing"; many thought it was a toy and passing fade, they could not see how you could go anywhere because you needed "fuel" whereas a horse just needed grass and water... Doesn't mean you have to like it, but it is coming and thats a fact.

I would agree that petroleum as a fuel won't go away soon, rather it will diminish over time but still be around. But there are many other uses for petroleum as well; the plastics industry, fertilizer for farming (production of nitrates) the rubber industry, the chemical industry (paints, dyes, detergents etc.) solvents, tar for road building, lubricants and all sorts of applications.

Well, they better damn well figure out how to stop all these spontaneous combustion’s with EVs before I’ll ever park one in my garage or within 25 ft of my house.

Well, they better damn well figure out how to stop all these spontaneous combustion’s with EVs before I’ll ever park one in my garage or within 25 ft of my house.

The irony is, that's why most older houses had detached garages, so when the car caught the garage on fire, it wouldn't burn the house down too. Over time, the cars got better and better. Now we're back at square one.

It’s interesting but with all the money they’ve spent how much further along are we than 100 years ago? It’s a s... show about who is better and who can suck a.. better to say I’m greener than you then go jump on their personal jet.. It’s a scam at another countries expense and destruction to the US economy as more of money pours into China. IMO!

Auto Transport Service
Back