• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley 4150 Manual Choke Question

Here we go

60F984D3-DBEC-4975-95DA-A20CB4BAEA78.jpeg

The pin that is sticking out of the cam and control lever assembly has to fit underneath the lever you can see in the crescent shaped slot. If it goes above it, it will not work. The choke is spring loaded closed as it sits in the picture. To put it together properly you have to fight the spring tension.
The pin is above as I indicated and the choke works. However the fast idle linkage never engages and the tension appears to be in the wrong direction (tension down and towards the driver).

I'm a bit confused. Not an uncommon condition. Your choke works when you move the lever, and the cam moves with it, is that correct? Is the screw contacting the cam ? Pulling down on the screw should open the throttle.

I'm a bit confused. Not an uncommon condition. Your choke works when you move the lever, and the cam moves with it, is that correct? Is the screw contacting the cam ? Pulling down on the screw should open the throttle.
Thanks for sticking with me on this. Choke works! Cam moves correctly. The screw never makes contact with cam. Spring tension is counter clockwise pushing the high speed idle counterclockwise. I think this is the issue whoever assembled it must have put it in backwards? When you say pulling down on screw do you mean counterclockwise right? If so then this must be the issue. This is why I was hoping to see an exploded view as to how the spring is set up in there.

You should have to hold tension counterclockwise to put it on.
Thanks for helping me with this......so this means that the spring should push the lever clockwise against the cam. This is not how mine was set up and must be the problem. You don’t by any chance have a picture of how that spring is set up in there do you?

Yes, so you feel tension when you pull on the choke cable and the spring assists you when pushing in on the cable. I don’t have any Holleys with chokes here, I’ll be back in the shop on Monday.

Yes, so you feel tension when you pull on the choke cable and the spring assists you when pushing in on the cable. I don’t have any Holleys with chokes here, I’ll be back in the shop on Monday.
Thanks........ no high speed idle spring action at all as the spring tension is pushing the idle linkage away from the cam ie counterclockwise tension. The high speed idle linkage never engages or touches the cam. I did try to loosen the linkage to take it off and look at the spring but its really torqued on there and the throttle started moving all the way back so I stoped not wanting to force it. I assume thats how to take the darn thing off just didn’t expect it to be so tight for a Philip's screw......

The arm with the screw in it is spring loaded away from the cam, but it hits a stop on the throttle shaft and when pushed further it opens the throttle. It is pushed by the cam pushing on the screw. I think you need a longer screw if the one you have is screwed in all the way. With choke open and throttle closed the screw should almost touch the cam. That would be a good starting place. That is how mine is and it works perfectly.

The arm with the screw in it is spring loaded away from the cam, but it hits a stop on the throttle shaft and when pushed further it opens the throttle. It is pushed by the cam pushing on the screw. I think you need a longer screw if the one you have is screwed in all the way. With choke open and throttle closed the screw should almost touch the cam. That would be a good starting place. That is how mine is and it works perfectly.
Well the spring on mine keeps the arm away from the cam as opposed to keeping it engaged as it should so thats the first thing that I need to change/figure out. The screw might be fine. I just need to fiddle with the assembly and figure it out. I was able to locate an exploded view of the 4150 on Holley’s web site but its not quite identical to what I have.

C473C9B0-C2F2-49C1-B3F0-8837C288D765.png

Keep in mind that I have the same system as you do and as I stated above mine works perfectly, and the screw arm is spring loaded away from the cam, the same as yours. As far as I can tell that spring is an anti rattle device or something similar. You should stop focusing on that spring. Humour me and close the choke all the way, and then adjust the screw until it touches the cam. If the screw bottoms out before that happens, then remove the spring off the screw, just for a test. If you continue to turn the screw from that point, the throttle will start to open. That is how you adjust the fast idle. When you open the choke from that point the throttle will return to curb idle. That is how the system works.

Keep in mind that I have the same system as you do and as I stated above mine works perfectly, and the screw arm is spring loaded away from the cam, the same as yours. As far as I can tell that spring is an anti rattle device or something similar. You should stop focusing on that spring. Humour me and close the choke all the way, and then adjust the screw until it touches the cam. If the screw bottoms out before that happens, then remove the spring off the screw, just for a test. If you continue to turn the screw from that point, the throttle will start to open. That is how you adjust the fast idle. When you open the choke from that point the throttle will return to curb idle. That is how the system works.
Got it I must have missed you indicating that my set up is correct and exactly like yours as is. I see that the high speed idle linkage is actuated in the counter clockwise direction(of course with the cam). Not sure what that spring does but it for sure is not meant to hold engagement of the high speed idle linkage to the cam. But I screwed the linkage as far as I could and it just makes contact in the full choke position. This tells me the screw is too short. Not sure why that would be as the geometry should be the same carb to carb. I’ll try a longer screw asap and ignore the spring deal.

Auto Transport Service
Back