• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley carb disassembly tips

I would mount the carb to a manifold and gently tap the bowls off. Tapping a loose part softens the tapping action. You'll need new gaskets, just the way it is. I too like to retain the Holley colour and am pretty careful about using any fluids that might damage the finish.

Wow, this is a timely post. I was just about to start a thread about this same topic and my surprising success.
Preamble: I am working through reviving a barn find ski boat (story in itself). I always was leary about what I would find with the carb and prepared to purchase a new one, worst case. Being a Holley marine 4160 that is a $900 option. This carb only had 160hrs on it and appeared new on the outside but had not been run since about 1995. Shouldn't have been much ethanol fuel issues from that period. However, it was extremely difficult and time consuming to get apart. I soaked it in every carb cleaner and other potions I had and spent nearly 8 hours in the ultra-sonic bath. Eventually got it all apart except for the metering block from the main body. Strategic tapping and prying was not successful. The power valve did show a lot of corrosion on the fuel bowl side so I was expecting the same on the hidden side. After a couple of days of this I was ready to bite the bullet and place the order for a new one with Summit. At the end of the day, as beer:30 approached I soaked the perimeter, every orifice and screw hole of the metering block with Kano Kroil penetrating oil. The stuff in the can, not the aerosol. Anyone not familiar with this stuff it is the best industrial penetrating oil for rusted, heat soaked parts. Then I headed in for my beverage and let it sit overnight.
Much to my surprise in the morning and a bit of disbelief the stuff had soaked through everywhere, even the gasket and the metering body popped off with minimal force. Saved me a very expensive carb purchase and I now have a new use for Kroil.View attachment 1399582
Thanks, Mr Hemi, ill sure give that a try. Any hint where to get it?

Most any industrial supply house/business, its sold and used as an equal to WD-40, just smellier .......

Wow, this is a timely post. I was just about to start a thread about this same topic and my surprising success.
Preamble: I am working through reviving a barn find ski boat (story in itself). I always was leary about what I would find with the carb and prepared to purchase a new one, worst case. Being a Holley marine 4160 that is a $900 option. This carb only had 160hrs on it and appeared new on the outside but had not been run since about 1995. Shouldn't have been much ethanol fuel issues from that period. However, it was extremely difficult and time consuming to get apart. I soaked it in every carb cleaner and other potions I had and spent nearly 8 hours in the ultra-sonic bath. Eventually got it all apart except for the metering block from the main body. Strategic tapping and prying was not successful. The power valve did show a lot of corrosion on the fuel bowl side so I was expecting the same on the hidden side. After a couple of days of this I was ready to bite the bullet and place the order for a new one with Summit. At the end of the day, as beer:30 approached I soaked the perimeter, every orifice and screw hole of the metering block with Kano Kroil penetrating oil. The stuff in the can, not the aerosol. Anyone not familiar with this stuff it is the best industrial penetrating oil for rusted, heat soaked parts. Then I headed in for my beverage and let it sit overnight.
Much to my surprise in the morning and a bit of disbelief the stuff had soaked through everywhere, even the gasket and the metering body popped off with minimal force. Saved me a very expensive carb purchase and I now have a new use for Kroil.View attachment 1399582
I used some Kroil to soften intake gaskets before attacking them with a gasket scraper. They turned loose pretty easily once it soaked in. :thumbsup:

Wow, quite a varied response which is good for discussion, however, I've rebuilt a lot of Holley's in the past 45 years. I was shown 'hands-on' by some of the best back in the day, and there were a few things that they all seemed to express as vital to a great rebuild, not just a good rebuild. If you want a quality rebuild that retains the original FIT and FINISH, patience is your best friend. Do not use any type of spray carb cleaner if you don't want to destroy the original carb coating/color. Back in the day it was economical to buy the GUNK 5-gallon bucket of carb cleaner and let it soak overnight, unfortunately today, carbs are like hen's teeth in the chain parts stores, and so are the GUNK 5-gallon buckets. You can use KROIL, as mrhemi mentioned, or the 3-IN-ONE variety as pictured. Soak every gasket mating section liberally, occasionally rolling the carb until you've penetrated (soaked) all 4 sides. No metal anything to pry apart any sections that are stubborn & froze, remember you're using penetrating oil which is the patience part of the job. You'd be surprised how the slightest gouge to just the right surface edge of a metering block or carb body could adversely affect the final function of your rebuild. Even if you successfully pry the sections apart without any marring, it doesn't take a lot of force to actually warp a fuel bowl or metering block. So far, everything I've mentioned, both good & bad, I've experienced while going through the learning process over the years. After everything is apart with, or without, carb cleaner as pictured, get yourself a bucket, or better yet, the kitchen sink and fill deep enough with warm water & dish detergent to completely submerge every piece including the main body. Get a selection of children & adult NEW toothbrushes with good stiff bristles and scrub away - literally. Completely rinse everything with clean running warm water, shake & wipe dry everything as best as you can, then place the main body, metering blocks & fuel bowls on a dish towel covered baking pan and place in the center of the oven with the temp at it's lowest setting & the door propped open 6"-8" and give it an hour or two, remember the patience part? All soap & water washing, and all baking is only to be done after all the removable parts have been removed (metering jets, power valve, needle & seat, float, check balls, etc.). NO plastic anything goes into the oven for drying. Never use compressed air to blow water from any internal passages since this can introduce moisture from within the air lines. When it's time for reassembly, screw & attach everything by hand first to insure there's no chance of cross threading anything. Carburetor metal is soft & non-forgiving, patience. Do not torque anything either, hand tight with a screw driver for metering jets & bowl to body screws (tight, but not torqued), same with wrench on the power valve, one snug pull. Good Luck!

3-IN-ONE Fast Acting Penetrant.jpg

GUNK Carb-Medic.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back