• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley cast aluminum pan

origcharger

Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
The install directions with their 302-61 cast aluminum pan say to install "dipstick tube deflector" if using stock dipstick tube but omit if using a Holley "302-74" dipstick. OK, but for whatever reason a "302-74" dipstick doesn't seem to even exist. Has anyone used this pan? What did you use for dipstick? Did you install the "deflector"?

I used a similar pan from Weiand (made by Holley) 5051WND. Here is what I used for the pickup nut and dipstick. not sure about the deflector as my pan required the use of an OEM gasket w/windage tray.

Dipstick Tube Mopar 53021322AF $20.99
Dipstick Mopar 53021321AK $14.64
Dipstick o-ring Mopar 53021144AA $6.90
dipstick Bolt (2ea) Mopar 06508065AA $2.44.
oil pickup nut Mopar 6502756 $3.99

This tube was from a ram and goes into the block bout required a little bending and relocation of the mount tab to make it look less dumb. its a tad on the long side. Ill see if i have a picture.

upload_2021-8-12_11-45-11.png

Didn't know if you figured this out yet.
I ran into the same issue. The Holley part number for their dipstick doesn't exit (or at least no longer available).
I went with this and had to modify it somewhat (cut it down as it was too long and then mark it where oil fill levels should be based off a stock truck dipstick).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-22065

TTSaleen I have the same Milodon dipstick and tube on hand, did you install the dipstick deflector in the Holley cast pan in order to use it?

TTSaleen I have the same Milodon dipstick and tube on hand, did you install the dipstick deflector in the Holley cast pan in order to use it?
Yes I went ahead and installed the deflector. I figured it wouldn't hurt. The cable however is way too long (it fits in the pan fine), but the readings are way high above the markings. So I purchased a truck dipstick and tube and temporarily installed it to mark the correct oil levels when I filled the engine for the 1st time.
Then I transferred that mark/distance to my new Milodon stick.
I then cut off the extra length not needed off the Milodon stick and filed the end so it would slide into the pan properly.
It has worked out great. Kinda hard to see the oil level as the Milodon stick is round and very shiny aluminum. So I took my dremel tool and roughed-up the window of low/high oil levels. Now it is a little easier to read.
Ryan

Also of importance -
Somehow I got oil into my rubber o-rings on the new Holley pan prior to final install onto the block.
The instructions require you to add silicone in 4 spots between the pan and the block to prevent leaks.
I did this but I believe some oil was hiding in there as my pan leaks! Only the rear but not the front.
Unfortunately, I will have to pull the pan back off and try to clean it perfect next time to get the silicone to seal.
Anyone else have that issue?
Ryan

Yes I went ahead and installed the deflector. I figured it wouldn't hurt. The cable however is way too long (it fits in the pan fine), but the readings are way high above the markings. So I purchased a truck dipstick and tube and temporarily installed it to mark the correct oil levels when I filled the engine for the 1st time.
Then I transferred that mark/distance to my new Milodon stick.
I then cut off the extra length not needed off the Milodon stick and filed the end so it would slide into the pan properly.
It has worked out great. Kinda hard to see the oil level as the Milodon stick is round and very shiny aluminum. So I took my dremel tool and roughed-up the window of low/high oil levels. Now it is a little easier to read.
Ryan
I’m having quite a time trying to figure out where the full and add lines should be on my Milodon stick as the oil is so clean, just wondering if you could measure where your add and full lines from the top of the stick?

I’m having quite a time trying to figure out where the full and add lines should be on my Milodon stick as the oil is so clean, just wondering if you could measure where your add and full lines from the top of the stick?
You drain your oil and change filter, fire it up, get pressure. Shut it down and let it sit for an hour. Pull dipstick, wipe it off, insert, pull out, mark where the oil is on the dipstick, that's your full.

You drain your oil and change filter, fire it up, get pressure. Shut it down and let it sit for an hour. Pull dipstick, wipe it off, insert, pull out, mark where the oil is on the dipstick, that's your full.
Yeah, done that but with a round blank Milodon dipstick in a round tube and clean oil it is very difficult to see exactly where that is. Was wondering what TTSaleen came up with for measurements using same components before cutting/marking dipstick

Auto Transport Service
Back