• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Street Dominator on RB Stroker

Turboomni

Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys ,my home base is FCBO but I lurk around here from time to time and thought you might help me with my decision on intake manifolds on my 505 stroker build.
The car is a 1969 Fury III . It now has a mild 440. I am keeping the 3.23 rear as one of the things this car does best is blasting down a highway. I am keeping HP exhaust manifolds,,I know,I know,,i am keeping them. Stealth heads mildy worked by Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing in Burlington VT and a custom roller cam of his design. 440 Source bottom end at 10 to 1 cr. I want a rather civilized idle with decent vacuum which is what I specified to Mr Porter on the cam. I was told to run a 800 cfm carb and a Edelbrock Performer RPM. Second choice by Mr Porter would be a Dominator intake because he realised room under the hood may be a problem with the Eddy. My question is will a decent idle be a problem with this intake and around town manners? Or will the stroker be moving so much air and stroke it won't care? This car I want to be a big comfortable powerful cruiser. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Performer RPM is a dual plane, the Holley is a single.
In dyno tests, the numbers between the two are not that far off despite them having different designs. Some choose the Holley simply because it is a lower profile manifold and it clears the hood.
My 440/493 has had a Performer RPM since 2004 and it clears the hood in my '70 Charger with a dropped base air cleaner.

I guess the picture is of a white car in a severe snowstorm. All I see is a white rectangle.

The Performer RPM is a dual plane, the Holley is a single.

Yes and is why I ask and my question was idle quality between the two.
Thanks for the info.

I've never heard of an intake having any effect on idle quality.

20190908_163611 (1).jpg
IMG_20180816_144435.jpg

20191013_145020.jpg

Last edited:
Between a dual plane and a single plane?? Ha!!!!!
Ok thanks I'll look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I would chose the rpm but my second choice would be the performer, the earlier model edelbrock and not a bad intake buy ant means. good luck and very nice car.

I can measure my RPM to see if it will fit your hood clearance.
Ill even send it to you to test if you want.
Its a good all around intake.

Thanks man! Do you have a 69 or measure your 65? Really nice I do appreciate it.

I have my old 440 sitting in the corner of the garage.
I could measure maybe from the China wall to the carb base?
Do you have your block that you could mock it up in your car?

There is no "China Wall" on a big block.

Reminds me of the two 73 New Yorkers I had
9:1 BBM, ported 915 heads HP manifolds-Police car exhaust I like my stereo
one had 3.73 other 2 series
They can handle well with 7" wheels and cop tires, 1.08 late C body cop torsion bars, Cordoba rear
I ran a TQ with the altitude compensator These cars have awesome heater and AC
I put in rear air
cheers

Hey guys ,my home base is FCBO but I lurk around here from time to time and thought you might help me with my decision on intake manifolds on my 505 stroker build.
The car is a 1969 Fury III . It now has a mild 440. I am keeping the 3.23 rear as one of the things this car does best is blasting down a highway. I am keeping HP exhaust manifolds,,I know,I know,,i am keeping them. Stealth heads mildy worked by Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing in Burlington VT and a custom roller cam of his design. 440 Source bottom end at 10 to 1 cr. I want a rather civilized idle with decent vacuum which is what I specified to Mr Porter on the cam. I was told to run a 800 cfm carb and a Edelbrock Performer RPM. Second choice by Mr Porter would be a Dominator intake because he realised room under the hood may be a problem with the Eddy. My question is will a decent idle be a problem with this intake and around town manners? Or will the stroker be moving so much air and stroke it won't care? This car I want to be a big comfortable powerful cruiser. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dwayne is on here, so I would expect him to chime in. I’m guessing with the cam he’s spec’d for the exhaust manifolds, you’ll be fine with either intake manifold. That 4.25 arm is gonna idle like a kitten either way.

What about the Edelbrock Performer 440?
I've read more than once that the RPM makes it tough to clear a stock b-body late 60s hood...
From Edelbrock's website:
Edelbrock Performer 440 intake - carb pad height: 4.30"
Performer RPM - carb pad height: 5.35"; manifold is 1.7" taller than stock.

I have dyno tested a 6 bbl, Indy 2D and a Holley SD on a 508 with manifolds. The carb was a small venturi 950.
Key Dyno Learnings:
1) 6 bbl made the least peak power
2) The SD made the most peak power.
3) Despite the 508 cu. in and the conventional wisdom that "the Holley SD is just as good as a dual plane down low" was not the case my testing. It was not until 4000 to 4500 rpm did the Holley SD catch up to the two dual plane intakes in power output.
4) Modifying the Indy 2D plenum divider got it to just about the same peak power as the SD, but it was still better than the SD below 4000.

My opinions based on my dyno testing results:
1) The power difference between the three was not that large and 95% of the people would be please with any of them, and would never know the difference.
2) If you spent more time trying to extract more power from any intake, you can probably find some gains.

I don't remember any idle difference between the three.

I would expect the Eddy RPM to perform similar to the 6 BBL.

You can get the RPM to work under your hood, but you may, or may not get the factory air cleaner to work.

Now you need to take this information to Dwayne, let him square it up with my cam verses your cam, and your goals, and then go with his recommendation. But again, you will not be killing this motor with which ever decision you make.

Holley Street Dom1.JPG
Indy 3.JPG
cropped.jpg

Last edited:

I kinda agree with this. Logically you would think it would hurt idle, but unless it is a radical mismatch, I don't think you'll know the difference.

I have a 4.3L 2bbl marine engine with a stock cam like a 190° @ 0.050 and 0.390 valve lift. I put an aluminum single plane intake and a 600 cfm Eddy carb. I really wanted something like 450 cfm carb, but gave the 600 a try. The 600 w/ single plane has been on it for 15 years now. Idles perfectly at like 500 rpm. Have not even changed plugs in that time.

You have no idea how it pains me to agree with KD. :D

Last edited:
You can get the RPM to work under your hood, but you may, or may not get the factory air cleaner to work.

Now you need to take this information to Dwayne, let him square it up with my cam verses your cam, and your goals, and then go with his recommendation. But again, you will not be killing this motor with which ever decision you make.

Mr Porter told me the Street Dominator would work well and the idle differences between the Edel RPM and Dominator would be different but not a huge difference. Mr Porter did the top end for me with a custom roller cam and mildly worked Stealth heads. So why do I ask this then?
I ordered a few days ago the 440 source bottom end etc. I was speaking to the guy there at 440 source and asked about the Street Dominator intake. He did not recommend it and said the Performer RPM was the way to go. He was not too specific why the Holley wasn't recommended. Didn't have good luck with it or something. Or is it as simple as they don't sell it?? That is why I came here as there is a lot of experience with strokers and high performance in general. As I said my build isn't radical and rather conservative compared to what some of you do here. If I make an honest 500 hp and high 500's tq with good behavior on pump gas I will be happy. I like the low design of the Holley SD as I can use the Dual Snorkel stock air cleaner easily but wanted to make sure.
I appreciate your thoughts. Kern Dog's too!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back