• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Clearance Question

streetmachine

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
I wanted to ask and I'm pretty sure I already know the question but, I wanted to ask. On a 1970 Charger with a '75 440 I'm just wondering if I would need a drop base air cleaner if I decided to run a Street Dominator? Right now the engine has the stock cylinder heads and factory cast iron manifold with a Thermoquad and the 70 style dual snorkel air cleaner with no clearance issues. I'd given thought about purchasing a Holley Intake or Edelbrock TM7 since I want to keep things somewhat old school. The Edelbrock I'm pretty sure I would have to go that route. Thank you for any help.

I think the Street Dominator would even work with a stock aircleaner. Great intake and no fitment issues.

I think the Street Dominator would even work with a stock aircleaner. Great intake and no fitment issues.
Thank you. A prior family member had one on a '72 Charger years ago with a '77 400 with a 440 Thermoquad on top. Ran it that way for many years with no issues that I remember as daily driver. The car had a power bulge hood with the hood cut out underneath but, a Dart Sport scoop on top so that helped with clearance on that car and had one of those "Fly Eye" Air Cleaners.

A Street Dominator should work without a drop base. A little added insurance could be had with running a solid motor mount on the drivers side if you are nervous about it.

And if you notice, the 70 charger has a nice factory relief area in the bracing.

A TM7 is a very low profile manifold. Most any air cleaner will work with it. TM7 is also a great choice for performance.

Without more information regarding Camshaft/Headers etc., on the '75 440 ?
No question the Holley Street Dominator.
It's a sure-fire fit with no clearance issues, and again without more info regarding 'size' of the Cam/rpm range the Street Dominator can equal and even better the TM7 in most applications.

This is low-deck based, albeit, still a fun to read old article and probably very similar RB results.
Part 1 of Hot Rod's Mopar Intake Manifold Shootout
Part 2 of Hot Rod's Mopar Intake Manifold Shootout

Thank you all and that's great to hear about the intake. I actually prefer the look of the factory air cleaner over most of the other air cleaners. With regards to the engine itself. I'm pretty sure it's pretty close to stock. The factory smog intake, Thermoquad and egr valve is still there. Still had the RV Kickdown Linkage when it was bought years ago and I had no hand in swamping the engine in. It was sold to my wife as it currently sits. It does have I believe '69 HP manifolds on it so that's the only other deviation from the truck parts I see on the engine so far. Thank you all again for the help and information.

3ddc04e2-8899-493a-944c-c688bb99e170_text.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back