• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood matte black?

Mark1972

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm having a decision making disorder regarding the matte black I am going to do on the hood. I'm looking for Mopar educated opinions. I'll put a pic below. I was thinking about having the area of the hood inside the lines all done, and am now thinking stripes. Just to be clear I'm not trying to clone anything, just trying to break up the blue a bit. I'm trying to get this done in the next couple of weeks before parking the car for the year. All opinions welcome.

20190812_140236.jpg

I sucked it up and purchased the Organisol ($200 Qt) and will be painting stripes on in the next few weeks. To answer your question, a friend of mine did his 69 using Summit matte Hot Rod Black and I have to say it looks great. I even told my paint guy if the Organisol paint didn't turn out the way I want then I am going with the Hot Rod Black also.

I'm having a decision making disorder regarding the matte black I am going to do on the hood. I'm looking for Mopar educated opinions. I'll put a pic below. I was thinking about having the area of the hood inside the lines all done, and am now thinking stripes. Just to be clear I'm not trying to clone anything, just trying to break up the blue a bit. I'm trying to get this done in the next couple of weeks before parking the car for the year. All opinions welcome.

View attachment 835846

Are you opposed to doing a hood scoop of any type at all, or just looking to black out options on your hood you have? That car would look cool with a six pack scoop and flat black hood.

You may want to consider how easily it is kept clean.
Flat or organisol are almost impossible to clean.
A big white 43 might look nice. (just kidding)

You could model the stripes with some tape or wrap
and see if you like them. That way it's removable.

Lol, I've been asked about the 43 before. I'm only looking for options for the stock hood. I wont proceed until I've made a decision I'm happy with, even if that means waiting until next year. I have looked at the wrap application. Pretty pricey. Way more than paint from what I've been quoted. I'll look at some pictures of other cars and see what I like. I'm still leaning towards stripes instead of one solid decal.

That car would look great with a black A12 hood on it especially running those wheels.

That car would look great with a black A12 hood on it especially running those wheels.
X2......A12 hood!

Painting it with organisol or another black will look nice but just adds another headache as previously mentioned......

my 63 while not a charger you get the ideal of the hood being black.
20451845_668629759901_1208662196499473730_o.jpg

A short cowl scoop 2" high ( Horrors! A camaro part!) Could simulate the road runner hood. Then you could paint to match.
My choice would be a glass hood with a sixpack scoop (as a one piece, not the scoop bonded on) painted black with a matte clear over it.
Not as inexpensive as adding stripes to what you have.

I painted my A12 hood on the GTX a satin black. It’s got a little bit of a sheen to it. Looks nice and not difficult to keep clean.

While we are talking about black hood treatments, is it true the manufacturer advised using furniture polish on the original black hoods or is that just BS??

SEM Hot rod black is the only thing I’ll use on my hoods. Cleans up with spray wax. I had one hood with orgisol, never again.

266B2D9D-3251-4FF7-861E-5A45F97C7D43.jpeg
040185A1-32DB-496F-AEE4-8E858CC3858A.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back