• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood springs not holding hood up in open position

Diesel1276

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
I have a 71 Charger that I added an N96 hood to years ago. The hood springs had no issue keeping the hood open and then suddenly they dont hold anymore. Is this common? Do I need to change the springs? The hinges and springs were cleaned and stripped of paint before being repainted. Any advise would be appreciated.

I would go ahead and change out the springs. The last thing you need is to be under the hood, and have it come down on you from weak springs.

I would go ahead and change out the springs. The last thing you need is to be under the hood, and have it come down on you from weak springs.
I was prepared to get new ones but didnt know if I was forgetting something when I,put the hinges and springs back on the body. I thought maybe different springs for a n96 hood with the extra weight. Thanks.

I know very little about the 1971 models, but the 1970 road runner had different hood springs with N96 compared to without.

My parts CD is stuck in my dead laptop so I can't look it up... But I'd about guaranty the springs are different.... But finding them will be a challenge.

My parts CD is stuck in my dead laptop so I can't look it up... But I'd about guaranty the springs are different.... But finding them will be a challenge.
Bubble hoods (n96,RT and SuperBee) had heavier springs

Auto Transport Service
Back