• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hose Clamp Question

VFilms

Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep the engine compartment as stock looking as possible. These clamps came on the car. Question: Anybody had good/bad luck using these style clamps, assuming all the hoses are new and coolant inlets and outlets are in good condition.

hose clamp.jpg

I've used these style clamps on a 1968 B Body with air conditioning and the reproduction heater hose kit. They leaked at all of the heater hose connections. Heater core inlet and outlet, NOS water valve inlet and outlet and engine nipple connections. This was on a freshly painted engine and car so it made a big mess... Really pissed me off!

Discovered the problem was the clamps weren't sized correctly to match the reproduction heater hoses with a thinner wall thickness / smaller outside diameter. Clamps were a little too big causing leaks at all connections. Kit was labeled as "Mopar Authentic Restoration Product" what a joke... And yes they were positioned correctly on the hose / tube flanges.

I also used them with the reproduction upper and lower radiator hoses without any problem.

I use them on all the places that they came from Chrysler.
Been on for years.
No leaks

I as well have them installed on all of the connections that they were installed originally with zero issues.

I had clamps from different suppliers...and when you compare them some are slightly different sizes for the same application. I used the smaller size if there was a choice in what I had.

If you want to use them for just esthetics....in addition you can use a regular screw clamp and hide it by putting black electrical heat shrink tube on the band part and a little spray paint on the screw part. It won't disappear but will be harder to see. But again...I have no issues with original style clamps at all.

Thanks for all the advice! Seems, as you all suggest, I need to be careful with sizing.
Again, much appreciated.

I've used the factory style clamps also and no problems. If you have them in NY, Ace Hardware has a wide selection of this style clamp, so if need be, you can find that slightly smaller, but perfect fit, clamp.

I've used the factory style clamps also and no problems. If you have them in NY, Ace Hardware has a wide selection of this style clamp, so if need be, you can find that slightly smaller, but perfect fit, clamp.
Ace also has a tremendous selection of nuts and bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve used them no problems on many cars and driven many on road trips. I’ve heard that the new ones you buy need to have the size stamped into the clamp. The clamp with no size stamped into them are the problem leaker clamps.

I have some extras and I looked them over, they all have the size stamped onto them.

I’ve used them no problems on many cars and driven many on road trips. I’ve heard that the new ones you buy need to have the size stamped into the clamp. The clamp with no size stamped into them are the problem leaker clamps.

I have some extras and I looked them over, they all have the size stamped onto them.
Thanks. Important info!

I installed them on my 69 Dart to keep it original looking. One area that kept dripping was the lower radiator hose where it attached to the pump. So I added a regular screw hose clamp, it's tucked up and hard to see. If I spray paint the clamp, flat black, it would disappear down there.
If you plan on using the old style spring clamps, get yourself the special pliers, it makes placement so much easier.

Last edited:
I installed them on my 69 Dart to keep it original looking. One area that kept dripping was the lower radiator hose where it leaves the pump. So I added a regular screw hose clamp, it's tucked up and hard to see. If I spray paint the clamp, flat black, it would disappear down there.
If you plan on using the old style spring clamps, get yourself the special pliers, it makes placement so much easier.
Have a pair of spring clamp pliers somewhere in my Snapon box. Just need to find them. Been a while.

and you probably already know, wear safety glasses, just in case

Have a pair of spring clamp pliers somewhere in my Snapon box. Just need to find them. Been a while.

I like those better than screw clamps.

...but you need the right tools to safely remove and install them.

The last set of reproduction radiator hose clamps I used snapped when I went to swap engines 10 years later. They did not spring, but rather just broke in the middle. That is the only bad experience I have ever had with spring style clamps. I prefer them for their sealing ability over worm clamps.

I'm trying to keep the engine compartment as stock looking as possible. These clamps came on the car. Question: Anybody had good/bad luck using these style clamps, assuming all the hoses are new and coolant inlets and outlets are in good condition.

View attachment 1148710
It seems all more age and they work the rest is up to you.

View attachment 1148710
Ive used these clamps with great success. They are called CORBIN CLAMPS. B4 installing a hose, be it a heater hose or a radiator hose, insure that the fitting is round and not distorted. I coat the hose's ID with Permatex Hi-tack sealant, have the Corbin clamp installed on the hose, an inch or so back from the installed position and slip the hose over the fitting, then expand the clamp using Corbin clamp pliers, and slip it over the fitting, positioning the clamp approximately 1/2" from the end of the hose, then releasing the the clamp. I've not experienced a leak. The Hi-tack sealant provides a flexible seal that will prevent a leak.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

upload_2021-8-7_11-46-18.png

Ive used these clamps with great success. They are called CORBIN CLAMPS. B4 installing a hose, be it a heater hose or a radiator hose, insure that the fitting is round and not distorted. I coat the hose's ID with Permatex Hi-tack sealant, have the Corbin clamp installed on the hose, an inch or so back from the installed position and slip the hose over the fitting, then expand the clamp using Corbin clamp pliers, and slip it over the fitting, positioning the clamp approximately 1/2" from the end of the hose, then releasing the the clamp. I've not experienced a leak. The Hi-tack sealant provides a flexible seal that will prevent a leak.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

View attachment 1149289
Thanks Bob. Good tip.

Auto Transport Service
Back