• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hose Clamps

TOMRR

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score

I change my clamps from the band style to the wire type, No issues so far , but I do not have the confidence that I had with the band type . Was just wondering if and one puts a sealant of ant kind such as shellac or other type to insure a good seal .

Thanks Tom C.

Wire type are superior, equal pressure around the entire diameter. I regard the worm gear type hose clamps in the same category as scotch locks for wires….

One of the problems with worm gear clamps is that they can tear or rip the hose, causing problems later. I just bought my first set of wire clamp pliers after years of having the clamps fly across the garage while using regular pliers.

Have never used any type of sealant when installing new hoses and the stock type clamps, and have never had any issues.

I use them almost exclusively. No problems yet, started using them on my father in-laws 55, no issues yet. So I when I built my wife's car I did not want just a hose so I built a hard line coupled with the Gatorgrips over a small piece of hose....works great...only drawback is its a one shot deal....
This pic shows the mock up but I had not installed the Heatshrink yet....

FB_IMG_1463715219579.jpg

That's all my dad uses on his old cars. Never had a problem plus that's what the factory used.

I used to hate spring clamps and love screw clamps.

Now I love spring clamps and hate screw clamps.

This tool changed my life-
astro.jpg

I've always changed TO Corbin clamps... for over 45 years & my clamp plier is just as old (although not really required, a long time ago I got in a habit of swiping a very thin coat of indian head on the inside, as I did that to fix a seepage on a customers car many moons ago...)

I like the Clamptite tool and have been doing it without the tool. Works ok but not as good as using it I'm sure.

I've always changed TO Corbin clamps... for over 45 years & my clamp plier is just as old (although not really required, a long time ago I got in a habit of swiping a very thin coat of indian head on the inside, as I did that to fix a seepage on a customers car many moons ago...)
I've been thinking about switching to these clamps for a while. Never liked the look of the Wormscrew or the way they bit into the hose. The Corbin just look...right.

So if you have a hose that is 2.25 OD, do you buy the Gaters that go from 2.25-2 or the 2.5-2.25?

Auto Transport Service
Back