• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how about a cheap truck axle???

pman53

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
im sure theres an obvious reason not to but i can get a 9 1/4 truck axle cheap while 8 3/4 axles seem to be kinda expensive. are there any real negatives to doing this???

The 9.25" rear end is not a terrible piece for a street car but the sure grip unit might be the weak point. Another issue might be the width, and the perches will have to be relocated and put on the bottom so the axle sits on top of the spring. By the time you get it in the car it might cost as much as an 8.75".

Well I have time and a welder. Could maybe change the backspacing on the wheels to solve the width issue. I currently have a 91/4 with a detroit locker in my truck with 36" super swampers. I seem to be able to beat the hell out of it with no problems.

The Sure Grip unit in the truck rears is called a Trac Loc and is a POS and yes, the 9 1/4 is a decent unit but it depends on what year it came from. Can't remember exactly what years had problems but for some reason, a lot of them had pinion bearing failures. Bearings made in China maybe?

The Sure Grip unit in the truck rears is called a Trac Loc and is a POS and yes, the 9 1/4 is a decent unit but it depends on what year it came from. Can't remember exactly what years had problems but for some reason, a lot of them had pinion bearing failures. Bearings made in China maybe?

I have a 9.25" in my Durango and aside from the half round clips falling out of the carrier and cutting a grove in the case it seems fine. All I did when I saw the damage was to remove the remaining broken piece from the one side by breaking it into smaller pieces with a punch and scooping out as much metal shavings as I could. I put the cover back on and I'm still driving on it 100K miles later. I have 160 K miles on it and it's never been apart. Didn't know it was a Trac Lok. I thought only Ford used that term.

9 1/4 rearend are strong. I have an old truck mag that listed all the rearends that Dodge ever used in their trucks. When they got to the 9 1/4 rearend they really didn't have anything bad to say about it. It can handle 35" tires with no issues, meaning the axles are strong also. I would think that they have the same strenght level as the 8 3/4.
They are making aftermarket parts for them. Lockers,axles,support cover and you should be good for 600 HP

Auto Transport Service
Back