• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How come my 440/494 runs so cool?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
I've got a question for all you wizards out there. I'm not complaining but it just seems odd to me that my 440 stroked recently to 494 runs at about 135*. It's got a 180 thermostat in it and I've checked the temperature at the radiator and it doesn't seem to get hotter than that. My gauge only registers about half way between cold and warm. I had the original radiator rebuilt and triple cored. Could that be the reason? What other reasons are there for an engine to run cool like that - or am I simply mistaken?

I've had several thermostats over the years fail exactly this way after a year or two in service. Put them in a pan, heat the water, and opening all the way at 140.
Bad for mileage, and really bad for heater operation in sub-zero temps.
Maybe your thermostat doesn't even close all the way.
Cheap enough to throw in a new one and see if it changes.
That's even a little bit too cold for best racing performance.

Is that confirmed with a laser temperature gun? Stant Superstat 180 is the best out there. A real 135 will allow too much wear.

Is that confirmed with a laser temperature gun? Stant Superstat 180 is the best out there. A real 135 will allow too much wear.
Yes Dennis - we confirmed with a temp gun. She just doesn't seem to warm up properly. I'm not relying on the the car gauge - that may simply be faulty. But when I check it at the radiator it says the same thing. I'm going to put in a new thermostat just for kicks - like Darthomas is suggesting. I'd definitely like to see her run warmer.

That's funny, when so many guys have over-heating issues.

The 440 w/180 in mine heats up fast. With ambient in 70's, it ramps right up to 180 within a few blocks then levels off. On the highway in cool air, it can drop to 170 and stay there when cruising. Tempted to put a 195 in, but skeered to mess with success. Higher temp means less wear. I run Amsoil to try to compensate.

Auto Transport Service
Back