• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I center the steering shaft inside the column of a 1966 Coronet? (manual steering)

SIX TO GO

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, noob here with my first of what will likely be several questions about how to address what I perceive to be small issues needing attention.
First, I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 last week at Mecum Auto Auction in Kissimmee, Florida. The car can be found here: 1966 Dodge Coronet 500
The first issue I’d like to fix has to do with what I believe is called a Lower Steering Column Seal (or something close).
86E45629-C33E-46D9-966D-3BD107330416.jpeg

In the photo I’m hoping you can detect that the steering shaft (pardon me if I get nomenclature incorrect as I’m no expert) isn’t centered in the hollow tube of the column. Studying what I can see only from above in the engine bay and under the dash, I’m curious if this is something I can align by loosening some bolts and manhandling the steering column from inside the car or under the hood?
I’m curious if I can remove the four screws and cover under the column inside and gain access to what feels like two nuts on threads and loosen the two bolts at the bottom to move the hollow column to center the steering shaft inside the tube.
5AED42B5-3113-4DA3-B0A9-B4B257C0F241.jpeg

Is this how it would be done or am I way off base?
Getting the shaft alignment to be centered in the tube is the only way I see that makes sense for what brought me here in the first place and that’s the aforementioned failed seal. I think getting the seal replaced is likely going to need to be done by a reputable alignment shop as I don’t think I can tackle the steering shaft connection point above the steering box with what I have to work with.
Anyway, hopefully someone here knows how to best align the shaft within the tube because replacing the seal without doing that would be an exercise in futility.
Thanks all!

I think you need to loosen the bolts in the steering column plate and the closure plate (both) on the inside of the firewall and see if it will shift enough to center it. Loosening the column clamp at the dash opening needs to be done also so the column is able to sift. Keep the column tube slid up tight towards the steering wheel. Yes, there is a seal that should be on the bottom of the column. You will probably have to pull the column to install it.

This is the seal you are looking for. Appears you have to remove the box coupler to install it.
20230110_151415.jpg

Lower coupler has to come off to replace the lower seal.

To center the shaft install the lower coupler on the str box.
tighten the upp column to lower dash u shaped cradle. THEN tighten the lower column to firewall plate. . If the lower seal is in it, the lower column shaft will center itself .

I just did this very scenario last week on one of mine

Auto Transport Service
Back