• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I eradicate a nest of yellow jackets, safely.....

upload_2021-7-26_9-28-9.png
I had 1 like that at deer camp...like a dummy I hit it with a 12 ga...it was fun tho
(Pic is stolen from other post)

Last edited:
Always fun using an aerosol can and a lighter. Have the fire extinguisher ready!

I have this one right now! It’s at camp and the dreaded bald faced hornets.. I’ll wait until they’re all in it or most anyway at night and spray the crap out of it with the foam! I like the foam much better. It sticks to the nest blocking the entrance and they have to go through it to get out.. They’ll be done..

As far as in the wall, the problem is most likely much larger than you can see. I agree with using the credit card to call a pro! Good luck!
View attachment 1144063
Oh man, bald-faced ones will chase you until they drop from sheer exhaustion.
We have similar ones around here we call "ring-tailed" hornets (they have a ring or two of white around
their black asses) and they also, once summoned, chase you for hours - and ALL of them come when they
do.
I always make it a point to be sure to make a quick kill on one if it's being a nuisance, so he doesn't get
a chance to call for help. :)
They had a nest a lot like yours there hanging from the first tree down my drive one year that was literally
3 feet above the tractor canopy when I'd drive under it mowing all summer. I didn't even know it was there
until the leaves fell in fall! HOLY F....!!!!

Oh man, bald-faced ones will chase you until they drop from sheer exhaustion.
We have similar ones around here we call "ring-tailed" hornets (they have a ring or two of white around
their black asses) and they also, once summoned, chase you for hours - and ALL of them come when they
do.
I always make it a point to be sure to make a quick kill on one if it's being a nuisance, so he doesn't get
a chance to call for help. :)
They had a nest a lot like yours there hanging from the first tree down my drive one year that was literally
3 feet above the tractor canopy when I'd drive under it mowing all summer. I didn't even know it was there
until the leaves fell in fall! HOLY F....!!!!
Yeah, they are nasty! I’ve been hammered several times. Not good.. I’ve been working under that tree for days until the wind blew just right and exposed it! Very lucky!

my father in law back in the 90's had an idea to caulk the hole on the outside shut, well in the middle of the night the bees managed to chew a hole thru the dywall and into his bedroom where he was sleeping, It wasn't a good outcome.:lol:

We use a mix of Delta and Demon. They are both residuals and will wipe them out in a day because the foragers will be out of the nest. I don't even suit up very often anymore. The mix can also be mixed with water and sprayed from a distance.

I unloaded an ENTIRE can of wasp spray on a nest the size of a soccer ball and it did NOT even phase them!!! I found 5 or6 dead ones on the ground and that was all. Flame thrower is next I guess, just got to figure a fire suppression system out first.

Hornets? A shop vac will work. If you can get the hose right in front of the opening they make an awesome thud when they hit the back of the tank.

I have a 50# bag of Diazanon I use on our ground nests. Just mix up a little in a bucket and pour it in the hole. If they make it to the top, the next morning it will look like a bee volcano, with 100’s of dead bees around the hole, and the nest will be dead. For in the wall, I would call a bee whisperer, someone who knows bees and knows how to outsmart them. It’s very difficult to get the whole nest, and you know the Queen ain’t near the door!

Wasps were getting under the deck into a small hole to basement. Paid a guy 250.00 to vacuum them up. He made it so they couldn't come back..

Had a huge nest of aggressive bees in the wall of a friends' garage. Fiddled around trying to seal the outside access holes, got nowhere. We called orkin. Killed them off for $100, with a guarantee to come back if the bees did.
Would have been worth three times that to me. (I tipped both guys twenty bucks).
Edit: went back to the garage a couple days later, found thousands of dead bees INSIDE the garage. Could have sealed up the outside till doomsday, would have made no difference.

Many years ago I use to keep honey bee's and harvest my hives at the end of honey flow. So, honey bee s don t bother me at all, as I have removed/harvested hives on the move several times. I had a new HVAC system installed early this summer and they put in a new electrical supply box and it appears one small hole from removing the old box did not get sealed up. Appears a 1/4 inch hole was all they needed to set up house. Found my bedroom window , while closed, was not latched . So, in closing it about another 1/8 of an inch seems to have stopped them getting inside. Only found two inside today. I am out in the boonies and many miles from the nearest pest control folks so, Plan A is I am taping up the hole outside with a bag of Seven dust tonite and see what effect that will have. The hole is easy to access and the light on it last nite did not bring out anybody to check on things. But , if that does not show good results , plan B is to bring in the Pros........

Hornets? A shop vac will work. If you can get the hose right in front of the opening they make an awesome thud when they hit the back of the tank.
Knowing my luck , I would trip a breaker.

Auto Transport Service
Back